Radio

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Read an earlier report a while back about length of time radio will operate after switching off ignition, yesterday took car on shopping run, waited in car for wife to return radio stayed on for a minute.
At the moment with a car owned for a month I cannot connect to android auto (I have now given up until I can go back to garage) and now I have no radio when stopped.
What are Citroen playing at ? for one, if screen is using a lot of power switch off screen but allow radio to play, as for AA I am dumbfounded that something so simple can be made so difficult.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey

srperry

Post by srperry »

If it works the same as my C5, you need to press the on/off button for the radio after turning off the ignition. Mine stays on for well over 30 minutes if the battery is charged up. We're not doing many miles currently obviously, so using the car uses battery - and the system is designed to ensure that there is always enough energy to restart the car as well as keep the door locks and alarms working.

I charge mine about once a week at the moment, and don't have an issue either with radio or stop/start - which I did have before I began topping up the battery weekly after we began lockdown last year.
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Thanks, talk about back to the future.. will have to look for my vintage 1970's charger.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Factory default is 30 mins. It's to ensure there is enough charge in the battery to start the engine to go home. If/when the radio cuts out then restarting the engine will bring it back, BUT not for another 30.mins, you have to run/drive for at least 1 mile to get that back and then only providing the battery volts are above the trigger level. Yes it's a bind but I'd rather be able to get home.
Someone with a LEXIA terminal.csn check and see what your timer is set at.
I now put my C3 Aircross on charge once a week during this lockdown so that a) the stop start works and b) the radio stats on for 30 mins.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Thanks for that will get it checked when able with this covid issue, with all the cars i have owned its still difficult to comprehend a 30 min radio use has never flattened a chunky car battery.
russbif

Post by russbif »

Put mine on trickle charge today, first time I’ve had to do it to my daily driver for years, will do it again tomorrow to fully top it up.
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

30 minutes is the maximum on a fully charged battery if you are lucky. Unlike older systems, the electrical power management is undertaken by the BCSU (Battery Charge Status Unit), and is not handled directly by the BSI anymore.

Once it switches to Economy mode, you will only ever get back double the time that the alternator has been running. So in theory to get your 30 minutes back again, the alternator needs to have been running for at least 15 minutes - so it is not distance based.
russbif

Post by russbif »

Power saving also stops your windows working
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

ChiliPepper wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:53 pm 30 minutes is the maximum on a fully charged battery if you are lucky. Unlike older systems, the electrical power management is undertaken by the BCSU (Battery Charge Status Unit), and is not handled directly by the BSI anymore.

Once it switches to Economy mode, you will only ever get back double the time that the alternator has been running. So in theory to get your 30 minutes back again, the alternator needs to have been running for at least 15 minutes - so it is not distance based.
I'm not sure what you mean by older systems. My first C4 Picasso would only play the radio for about 10 minutes right from new; my second one gave 30 minutes. It seemed then to be variable between cars. No idea why but it was never an issue for me
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

What I mean is that PSA vehicles (and this depends on the model too) prior to 2008 had the 'Economy Mode' managed directly by the BSI. The BSI could be configured in some cases to change the time before the activation of the battery saving feature. With later vehicles there may be a BCSU fitted and this is a more 'intelligent' system supposedly.

For those interested this is how it works:

Picture of a Typical BCSU, but they can vary in shape and size, connected to the negative battery terminal and powered by the positive:
BCSU B.PNG
The main function of the battery charge status unit is to calculate the ancillaries battery charge status and transmit this information to the built-in systems interface to fine-tune the activation of the energy economy mode.

The ancillaries battery charge status is calculated from measured physical parameters (voltage, current) and calculated parameters (battery internal temperature).

The battery charge status unit has a role permitting optimisation of the management of the electrical energy.

The battery state of charge unit contains the following functions:
  • Autodiagnostics reporting any faults detected on the sensors and/or internal electronics of the battery charge status unit
  • Storing of the minimum current consumed on the 12V network when the vehicle is on standby
  • Detection of crossing of an ancillaries battery charge threshold every 10 % with triggering of the built-in systems interface BSI
  • Making the measured physical quantities available (Voltage, current and temperature of the ancillaries battery)
  • Detection of disconnection of the ancillaries battery
Role of the functions:
  • To allow an operator to quickly identify a failure on the battery charge status unit and/or the ancillaries battery
  • To detect an abnormal and continuous consumption on the 12 V network when the vehicle is on standby
  • To allow the built-in systems interface to memorise the context associated with the discharging of the ancillaries battery
  • To give access to the information measured by the sensor in order to assist in checking or diagnosing certain units
  • To permit checking of the ancillaries battery charge status before storing the vehicle (vehicle park)
One further example, during lockdown when my C5 wasn't going anywhere, I had to constantly keep the battery topped up every week or so, as despite having a new battery, it would rapidly discharge if not used. My solution was to change the position of the Shunt Park fuse. This switched off all the unnecessary power consuming systems (like TPMS constantly polling the tyre sensors, the BCSU polling, Telematics, Alarm etc.) and just left the essential system running like the access management / triggering. This is what they do when the vehicles are stored on a vehicle park in France or Spain awaiting shipment.

I found I could leave the car for at least 3-4 weeks and it would start fine in this configuration. Then I just changed the Shunt fuse back again for normal operation.