Stop start again not working

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

So after I charged my battery to cure the stop start not working it worked faultlessly for 5 weeks. However over Christmas I did short journeys and most in the dark and on Jan 4th it stopped again
A voltage check showed the battery to be at 12.65V so I put it on charge. 24 hours later I removed the charger, with it connected the terminal volts were 14.9 but it dropped to 13.2 on charger removal. Result is that once again the stop start is working again. Personally I think the trigger point is set too high and will ask the decker when it goes for service in 4 weeks if it can be lowered to 12v. Worth a try.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars

Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

I know that when the system is working, and the car is in stopped state, that it will restart the engine if the battery voltage drops below 11.8V. I doubt there is anything they can do to lower the threshold with this as the electrical strategy management is quite complex on these.

How old is your battery? I assume its under 5 years - but 5 years is about the life for this type of vehicle before the battery starts losing its capacity.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

The car is a 2020 C3 Aircross Flair Auto. Bought in Feb 2020. Only done 3250 miles.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
peter m

Post by peter m »

This cold weather will have a great impact on battery voltage so this may be the reason your stop/start is not working my stop/start hasn't been working since this cold spell started plus since lockdown I haven't been doing much mileage only essential journeys.
C5 aircross 1.2 c series EAT8 grey with black wheels.
Deleted User 830

I've turned my Stop Start off anyway and although it's supposed to reactivate next time the vehicle is started, mine isn't working either - probably as conditions don't permit - like maintaining the cabin temperature at present when it is freezing outside. On top of that we're lucky enough not to have any traffic lights within 20+ miles in any direction.

At least there's no reversible alternator, or power accumulator on these, and even though the Starter is a reinforced type, I don't fancy changing that too often so suits me that it's not operational.
russbif

Post by russbif »

“At least there's no reversible alternator, or power accumulator on these, and even though the Starter is a reinforced type, I don't fancy changing that too often so suits me that it's not operational.”

Excellent point, a friend had to have his replaced on a C5, cost him close to £900.
Anything I can do to extend the life of my starter by reducing unnecessary usage is worthwhile.
Chrislo

Post by Chrislo »

Same issue with my stop start, I even bought a battery charger a few weeks ago just in case the level was too low. Even after it's fully charged it doesn't operate.
There must be something inherently wrong with this system, or the battery isn't up to it! My old DS3 Sport worked faultlessly for the 6 years I owned it, and my wife' Mini Stop start always operates, even though she does very little mileage!
C3 Aircross Flair 130BHP manual - Breathing Blue
Deleted User 830

In case anyone is interested in the system:

Components / Management of the system:
  • Reinforced starter
  • Reinforced engine flywheel
  • Special battery
  • Battery charge status unit
  • Engine fuse and relay box
  • Braking circuit vacuum sensor
  • Vacuum reserve
  • Button (touchscreen or physical) to activate/deactivate the Stop and Start function
  • Clutch master cylinder position sensor (*)
  • Neutral sensor (*)
  • Management of the load and of the discharging of the battery
  • Management of the restarting of the engine by the reinforced starter
The Automatic stopping of the engine will not be authorised under the following conditions:

Coolant Temperature: Temperature below 10 °C; Temperature above 100 degrees C (When the air temperature is higher than 0°C).

Temperature of the air and of the engine coolant: Air temperature lower than 0°C; Engine coolant temperature less than 60 °C.

Diesel temperature (*): Temperature above 60 degrees C

Particle emission filter regeneration status (*): During Regeneration

Automatic gearbox oil temperature (*): Temperature below 0 °C; Temperature above 118 degrees C

Internal temperature of the ancillaries battery: Temperature below 0 °C; Temperature above 60 degrees C

Number of restarts per minute: Number greater than 6

Activation of the semi-automatic parking assistance (*): When Active

Dynamic stability control regulation in progress: When Active

Duration of the last dynamic stability control regulation: Timing period less than 2 seconds

Request from the electric power steering: When Active

Adapted cruise control until the vehicle stops (*): When Active

Adaptive cruise control until the vehicle stops with automatic restarting (*): During the braking phase or if engine torque is needed

External temperature (in °C): Temperature below 0 °C; Temperature above +35 degrees C

Ancillaries battery state of charge: No automatic stopping if the charge level of the ancillaries battery is too low

Stop and Start function status information: Function deactivated

Driver’s seat belt: Seat belt not fastened

Drivers door: Door is Open

Boot open (*): When Open

Trailer detected (*): Speed greater than 0 km/h

State of the accelerator pedal: Accelerator pedal pressed

Vacuum reserve in relation to the vehicle speed: If the vacuum reserve is not sufficient for the braking assistance

Fan assembly at fast or slow speed: When Radiator Fan Active

High altitude: Yes

* = According to equipment / Version

These are just the conditions that will prevent the stopping of the engine under the Stop & Start system - there are another set for restarting of course.