Adding Android Auto to media system

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Deleted User 820

Post by Deleted User 820 »

Good Evening everybody,

I am now the proud owner of the Aircross model (FEEL finish) having bought it second hand. So far so good, confortable drive!

Unfortunately, I noticed that the first buyer didn't buy the upgrade to have Android Auto.

Does anyone know if there is a way to add the Android Auto functionality, somehow? Either official or unofficial? Looking forward to any help I can get :-)

Thank you all,
Laurent

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Laurentbon wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:19 pm Good Evening everybody,

I am now the proud owner of the Aircross model (FEEL finish) having bought it second hand. So far so good, confortable drive!

Unfortunately, I noticed that the first buyer didn't buy the upgrade to have Android Auto.

Does anyone know if there is a way to add the Android Auto functionality, somehow? Either official or unofficial? Looking forward to any help I can get :-)

Thank you all,
Laurent
You do not say how old your car is, or whether it is a C3 or C5. That info would be helpful.

As far as I am aware, you could not add Android Auto functionality as an upgrade. The earlier versions may not have it, later ones will. I would imagine all C5 Aircrosses are new enough, and certainly C3 Aircrosses should from 2019 on, and probably earlier.

Do you have built-in satnav? If you don't and there is a nav button on the centre screen, you possibly may have the ability to link to Android Auto.
The only way to get connectivity on an early one is to replace the touchscreen and have the software/firmware updated. I doubt whether that is easy; it may not be possible.
Deleted User 820

Hello RouteMaster1,

Thank you for your answer. Of course, it is the C3 Aircross first immatriculation Jan 2018. No, it doesn't have built-in SatNav. I thought perhaps only the version with SatNav has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

I can see that the hardware is the same as the satnav version: the satnav icon at the middle left position of the screen is there but not illuminated / enable.

So I assume the functionality is available but just not turned on. Presumably the same for Android Auto. Which is why I thought there may be a way, either officially by paying or unofficially by tinkering to get it turned on?

Hope this makes sense,
Laurent
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

I have a c3 aircross with android auto, I DO not want to use spotify or any other subscription app for music, my phone with my music on is useless with android auto I have tried over 6 apps that will connect and play, change tracks on steering wheel thumb wheel but will not change albums or folders.
Google assistant will work on my phone but not in car it just states no source or cannot find songs by name with this app.
As with most things google your force fed with what they want you to see and use, but I don't half miss a CD player.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Our 2019 does not have built-in satnav, but had Android Auto function. I suggest you ensure that your phone is paired to the bluetooth in your car, and then download Android Auto to your phone. It inly works through a USB cable (some say that theirs works wirelessly), and use a decent quality lead. When connected and I switch on the car, the Android Auto starts automatically, and selecting OK on the screen that comes up starts Google Maps. I only use it for maps and to play Audible.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

I have connected phone with bluetooth for normal use together with android auto app installed on phone, i connect phone with AA, open music app (only a few suppose to work with AA) and then see track on car touchscreen, its the changing of tracks/albums by google assistant is my problem.
I am going to try a variety of cables to see if that will help, I have spent many hours but no joy so far. Thanks
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
srperry

Post by srperry »

My previous C4 Cactus had navigation and bluetooth, and I connected my Samsung phone to the car with just that. If I selected bluetooth in the source menu, my phone would play whatever playlist was active on my phone at the time. I could also use the steering wheel controls as I recall. In my C5 Aircross I use a mini-SD in the USB socket and that behaves very well - shows me all my albums (around 350 of them), and lets me select album, track etc.
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
russbif

Post by russbif »

My iPhone works exactly the same on my c3 aircross, just select Bluetooth as a source... no cables
Deleted User 820

So, I have tried everything I can think of including 3 different cables, installing / re-installing Android Auto on my Android phone, doesn't work. I am 100% sure that, for some reason, the car doesn't have the Android Auto feature. Which is most weird and pretty annoying. Looks like I will have to stick my phone to the car media screen to get maps and stuff. Not the most elegant..

I might try to go to a Citroen garage see if there is a way to upgrade the media system. It is only software limitation..

Thank you all for sharing your experience and let me know if there is an angle I might have forgotten to take...

L
russbif

Post by russbif »