Adapative cruise retrofit

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
kerma

Post by kerma »

Hi guys i have a C5 aircross 180 petrol Feel, which here in Finland is a middle tier trim without much of the goodies, so i was wondering since there are no forums in my country has anyone tried to retrofit adaptive cruise control in to a C5 aircross? I looked behind the bumper where the radar should be and there looks like to be somekind of device so what got me wondering if indeed it could be done just by changing the cruise stalk and with an software update. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

kerma wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 am Hi guys i have a C5 aircross 180 petrol Feel, which here in Finland is a middle tier trim without much of the goodies, so i was wondering since there are no forums in my country has anyone tried to retrofit adaptive cruise control in to a C5 aircross? I looked behind the bumper where the radar should be and there looks like to be somekind of device so what got me wondering if indeed it could be done just by changing the cruise stalk and with an software update. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks.
One of the issues with Citroens is that they work on a system called Canbus, where various functions are carried out by a central processor. This processor has a configuration of what is fitted to your car. Although the wiring mat be in place for what you want to fit, and the system doesn't expect to find it, it won't work. It is possible that it may be enabled but this most likely wouldn't be available in a normal software update, it would have to be downloaded from Citroen.

On my second C4 Picasso, which was one of the earlier ones fitted with DRLs, the lamps didn't work properly on delivery. The agent actually had to reload the correct configuration direct from Citroen to get them to work properly.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you could spend a lot of money and have great difficulty getting it to work, maybe not getting it to work at all.
schmoo2k

Post by schmoo2k »

Does that imply a Citroen dealer could enable it after it has left the factory (this is one thing I would quite like)
2020 C5 Aircross - 1.5 BLUEHDI 130 S&S EAT8
Deleted User 772

Post by Deleted User 772 »

No, a dealer won't do this.

CANBUS is just multiplexing used in most modern vehicles today. What is important to remember is that different PSA vehicles have different electronic architectures depending on the model and the build date. Depending on the type of multiplexing used, will determine the number of data networks and the speed of the data sent along the networks fitted.

CAN BUS allows for reduced wiring in the vehicle as there is a controlling ECU like the BSI that sends out all the coded data to each ECU on the network - so only messages intended for a certain ECU are received and acted upon. I turn the relevant ECUs can also send their responses back to the BSI.

So certain ECUs have to be compatible with the type of electronic architecture employed on the vehicle and there can be several types depending on the trim options (full electronic architecture or economy architecture) depending on the equipment fitted. So an active cruise control ECU as an example on one vehicle with one architecture won't be compatible with a different architecture.

So there is the wiring looms themselves to consider (they are not all the same), the specific ECU for the active Cruise control and of course the BSI has to be compatible as well as the ESP ECU etc. etc. That's without ensuring all the software of the infotainment are compatible too and so it goes on.....