Exhaust Adblue Error Warning/Engine fault @ less than 3000 kilometers. C5 Aircross

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
BenjaminBS

Post by BenjaminBS »

Hi all

with less than 3k on the clock, and less than 3 month life span, my C5 Aircross issued an engine fault/Adblue exhaust error.
Turns out, that "it is a known issue" solved via a software upgrade....

Has anyone had something similar?

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

There are many, many threads on Citroen forums about Adblue issues. Some may be software errors, some exhaust sensor or wiring harness issues, but many are failed Adblue pumps. If the pump has failed and there is no warranty the cost is in excess of £1000. Do you have a warning saying something like 'car will not restart in xxx miles'? If so, you need to get it into the agent as soon as possible.
BenjaminBS

Post by BenjaminBS »

no, I did not get this error you mentioned.
The dealer claimed, however, that there is a difference between Adblue for trucks (from the filling station) and Adblue for private cars...sounds strange.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Strange he should tell you this. As far as I know they are the same thing, just a solution of urea in water. Please forgive my cynicism, but many dealers, particularly sales staff have a limited knowledge. One forum used to have a topic 'things a citroen dealer told me'. As far as I know, you shouldn't use truck Adblue simply because the pump supplies the liquid far too fast to go into the small Adblue tank orifice.

Anyway. A little more you should know about the system. The Adblue tank capacity is about 17 litres, and a tankful generally lasts ~11,000 miles; as your car has only done 3000 miles, there is no way your car needs topping up. When it does there are clear warnings every time you start the car giving you a countdown from 1500 miles, giving you plenty of time to refill. A refill is usually in the order of 15 litres.

What did the dealer actually say about the issue.
BenjaminBS

Post by BenjaminBS »

He said, the chemical composition is different. That sounded quite odd. The pump's speed makes more sense.
At any rate, the garage performed a software update, and did not remove the liquid, or exchange the container. Since then, the car is fine, so far.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

See this:

From https://www.fuelgenie.co.uk/news/adblue ... our-fleet/

While it seems like a new substance, AdBlue has in fact been in widespread use in commercial transport vehicles since 2006. It’s a urea-based solution (32.5% urea) used in the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system of diesel-powered vehicles. The purpose: to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxides, ensuring the vehicle falls within Euro 6 emissions regulations. Since September 1, 2015, newly-registered diesel vehicles have had their emissions capped at 80mg/km of NOX, a cut of more than 50% over previous regulations.

AdBlue is a proprietary name, like Hoover and iPhone: i.e. there are not different types or brands of AdBlue, though there may at any time be different brands selling other urea-based solutions that perform the same function.

'What a Citroen Salesman told me'. Sounds like he is wrong. Doesn't surprise me!

Anyway, glad you're sorted.
BenjaminBS

Post by BenjaminBS »

thank you all!
rdeknegt

Post by rdeknegt »

whats interests me, your average monthly mileage is 1000 miles. why did you not buy a petrol Version?
Cars: C5 Aircross 180 Shine ,BMW Z4 E89. 2.8i sDrive
BenjaminBS

Post by BenjaminBS »

ah Diesel was significantly cheaper, and basically it is so low because of the corona lockdowns
rdeknegt

Post by rdeknegt »

Tks, here on the continent a diesel is not economical if ones drives lesss than 20000 km a year. also driving short distances under 20 km per drive ends up in problems with the diesel particle filter and very often with the exhaust gas return valve which clogs up.

There is a channel on utube called " auto doktoren " (car doctors) and they often show cars with this problem.
Cars: C5 Aircross 180 Shine ,BMW Z4 E89. 2.8i sDrive