Turning steering wheel when first starting

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
mss1641

Post by mss1641 »

I have c3 aircross petrol, just recently I have noticed when first starting car and turning the steering wheel I can feel vibration and movement on the floor of the driver footwell. It feels as if part of the steering gear is touching the underside of the floor?
Bizarrely it mostly happens when the engine is cold, anybody experienced the same or any ideas?
2018 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Petrol
Black, White Roof. :roll:

Jay R

Post by Jay R »

If you turn the engine off while the wheels are turned, the power steering may have slight strain on it when you turn it off. When you turn it back on again it will 'power up' and take back the strain and the steering wheel may jerk slightly. Perhaps this is what you feel? When you park, is it with the wheels turned a lot?
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
mss1641

Post by mss1641 »

Thanks for reply, I've only experienced it with engine on and particularly from cold start as I turn the steering I can feel movement and vibration on the floor of the drivers side. It feels like something is making contact/rubbing on the underside. I'll take it in for a check.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Yes, that doesn't sound right.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
Johnscot55

Post by Johnscot55 »

My daughter is describing something very similar to me on her C3 Aircross. Did you get it investigated and if so what was the result please.
mss1641

Post by mss1641 »

To update, I haven't had time to take in as yet, glad to no I'm not the only one with similar issue.
I will post a reply as soon as I have it checked.
Dmc48

Post by Dmc48 »

An old subject I know, but wondered if anything had been resolved with this one. I have a C5 Aircross Diesel Automatic which had just started to display this very issue. The noise and vibration underfoot is quite alarming and just tails off as I drive. Of course terrible time of year for garage booking and can't be seem until 04/01.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Both the C3 &C5 Aircross models have an electric power steering system, powered directly from the vehicle battery, with the electric assembly sited on the steering rack.

It may just be the colder temperature affecting the system or a weakened car battery, but there are no known reports of any symptoms you are describing with the system. Just keep an eye on it and see if the symptoms remain in warmer temperatures, or try charging up your vehicle battery and see if that makes a difference.