Front tyres jumping/knocking

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
tobyjane

Post by tobyjane »

my brother has this problem with his f pace jaguar 2020 it is a tyre problem if you have summer tyres it is very pronounced if you fit all season tyres it seems to solve the problem as one of our members stated its when the tyres are cold in winter they are very hard once you have driven some distance they warm up and it does not occur,i have nor noticed this problem with my c3 aircross as yet.

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

^Spam^ You are obviously a spammer, as that has nothing to do with the thread. Post reported. ^ Spam ^
jambo1874

Post by jambo1874 »

Spoke Arnold Clark Citroen Edinburgh they told me its a known fault without a fix they told its one of those things they said they had Alfas in the garage that do exactly the same thing
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

I don’t know why people keep talking about this as though it’s a ‘fault’, it isn’t. If you have 2 wheels fixed together and pointing in different directions (as all cars do), of course one is going to ‘jump’ or ‘skip’ when you try to turn. Your wheels are pointing towards each other slightly, it’s called toe-in. Even when you go straight, the tyres are trying to go in slightly different directions, it’s what keeps your car going in a straight line. You don’t notice this because it is such a small amount it’s absorbed by the rubber in the tyre. When you turn in a tight circle this effect is amplified. In a right hand turn the left tyre is pointing into the turn trying to make the turn smaller and the right tyre is pointing out of the turn trying to make the turn bigger. Of course one skips slightly because they are trying to go in different directions. This effect will become more noticeable if it is cold, you have less tread, wide tyres, a grippier road surface or low profile tyres. As I noted before, many car manufacturers point this out in the manual, even Lamborghini makes a point of noting it and stating it isn’t a ‘fault’. Saying that is like saying it’s a fault that the wind noise goes up when you drive with your windows open.
If you don’t like it, get softer tyres, take wider turns, or have the garage reduce the angle of your toe-in (though this will make your car more susceptible to drifting when going in a straight line and is against the manufacturers spec). Personally I suspect that Citroen made the toe-in angle a bit generous in their push to make a more comfortable and driver friendly car. It means that the car is far less likely to drift to the side, even when on a fairly steep camber road.

And for the people that say that their ‘other’ car doesn’t do this then it has softer tyres, less toe-in, a larger turning circle or looser/more flexible/worn steering links. Doesn’t mean that it’s a flaw with the C3, just that it was designed with different priorities.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
the2ems

Post by the2ems »

Jay R wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:25 pm I don’t know why people keep talking about this as though it’s a ‘fault’, it isn’t. If you have 2 wheels fixed together and pointing in different directions (as all cars do), of course one is going to ‘jump’ or ‘skip’ when you try to turn. Your wheels are pointing towards each other slightly, it’s called toe-in. Even when you go straight, the tyres are trying to go in slightly different directions, it’s what keeps your car going in a straight line. You don’t notice this because it is such a small amount it’s absorbed by the rubber in the tyre. When you turn in a tight circle this effect is amplified. In a right hand turn the left tyre is pointing into the turn trying to make the turn smaller and the right tyre is pointing out of the turn trying to make the turn bigger. Of course one skips slightly because they are trying to go in different directions. This effect will become more noticeable if it is cold, you have less tread, wide tyres, a grippier road surface or low profile tyres. As I noted before, many car manufacturers point this out in the manual, even Lamborghini makes a point of noting it and stating it isn’t a ‘fault’. Saying that is like saying it’s a fault that the wind noise goes up when you drive with your windows open.
If you don’t like it, get softer tyres, take wider turns, or have the garage reduce the angle of your toe-in (though this will make your car more susceptible to drifting when going in a straight line and is against the manufacturers spec). Personally I suspect that Citroen made the toe-in angle a bit generous in their push to make a more comfortable and driver friendly car. It means that the car is far less likely to drift to the side, even when on a fairly steep camber road.

And for the people that say that their ‘other’ car doesn’t do this then it has softer tyres, less toe-in, a larger turning circle or looser/more flexible/worn steering links. Doesn’t mean that it’s a flaw with the C3, just that it was designed with different priorities.
Seems to me that you are saying it is designed wrong ;)
2019 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Automatic
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

There is a technical bulletin noting the main issue as described in the first post, but there is no action to be taken:
  • The tyre rubber becomes harder in cold exterior temperatures.
  • The operation conforms to specification. Do not replace parts.
cavezop

Post by cavezop »

The ball joints connect the wheels to the suspension systems. What is this? They allow the wheels to rotate properly when turning left or right. If these ball joints start wearing off, they will start causing banging, grinding, or knocking noise when turning the steering wheel.