Front tyres jumping/knocking

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
RodB

Post by RodB »

Hi everyone,

I have a c3 aircross and I have noticed that when turning the steering to full lock the front tyre on the passenger side seems to jump or knock, it almost feels like the tyre is coming off the rim, has anyone else had the same problem? Or any idea what it is?

mike1940

Post by mike1940 »

Yes I get this with the nearside more pronounced than offside. Thought it was tyre rolling over some of my gravel but on full lock, at walking pace, it is rather alarming. Mileage 12500 and 14 months old-what is yours please?
RodB

Post by RodB »

My mileage is about 16100 and is 16 months old, it's very worrying, I've never had a car that does that before.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

I also get this. It's all to do with turning radius and the allignment of the wheels. Your front wheels aren't pointing straight, they either point away from each other slightly or towards each other, it's called 'toe' and it's supposed to be that way. However, it means that the wheels are in fact pointing slightly different directions. This isn't usually noticeable when driving but when turning in a very tight circle it means that one wheel drags the other sideways a bit. Wide tyres and harder rubber compound will also make it more noticeable. It may be that the toe angle of the wheels is set a bit wide/narrow but as a number of us seem to have this, I suspect it's correct and that's how they are supposed to be.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
RodB

Post by RodB »

Well thanks for your replies, I feel less concerned about it now, suppose I'll just have to get used to it.
Judge311

Post by Judge311 »

I have had the same problem with my C3 Aircross Flair, my local Citroen dealer had the car for a day and checked all wheel alignment and suspension, could find no fault whatsoever. Happy that nothing found so when the fault happens [very occasionally] will just have to put up with it.
Julieread2020

Post by Julieread2020 »

Hi there, did anyone get this issue resolved...? I have it now, on a 2019 car, it's been to the dealership 4 times now to sort it out. I've had the wheels re-aligned and so far it's improved but not resolved. I'd love to hear from any of you. Thanks.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

It doesn't need resolving, it's not a problem. Just because the cars you had in the past didn't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. I believe if you buy a McLaren it states in the manual this will happen and its not a design flaw. Its just the result of the tyre width, wheelbase and toe in settings.
the2ems

Post by the2ems »

Yes I noticed this a couple of days ago. Only had the car a week, but it’s two years old with under 11,000 miles. When it happens I looked in the rear view mirror and could see a stone in the road, so thought it was that. If it does happen again I won’t need to worry after reading this post 👍🏻
2019 C3 Aircross Flair 110 Automatic
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Yes, more likely to happen on a lose surface or in Winter when the tyres are cold and a bit harder.