C5 eco mode

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Greyfornow

Post by Greyfornow »

Anyone know what the eco mode button actually does? Should there be something in the dash to show it is on? I'm finding I have to press the button a few times to get the light to switch on, and not noticing any difference at all...!

1.2 manual Flair C5

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Which button are you referring to?
Deleted User 365

Post by Deleted User 365 »

See page 129 here;

http://service.citroen.com/ACddb/modele ... _en-GB.pdf

i have found you need to press and hold the button before the function is activated.

It appears to limit the rate of acceleration and reduce the speed of the heating/aircon fan.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

So just to clarify, we are discussing the eco mode on an auto gearbox, not economy mode (designed to prevent flattening the battery) or the flashing green eco icon, which is part of the stop/start system.
srperry

Post by srperry »

My car is a manual gearbox and has the 'eco' button - which you do have to long press to turn on. I haven't noticed any difference in limiting acceleration or the aircon fan when used. But I do thing that the suggested gear indicator suggests changing up quicker than without the eco button turned on. That equates to short-shifting, which racing drivers do to conserve fuel. I'll see if I can check the revs when the indicator lights up both when the eco mode is on and when it's not.

I can't do that for a week or so though because I'm away working in the USA and missing my C5 a lot! :)
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
rdeknegt

Post by rdeknegt »

Have the automatic gearbox , and if I switch to ECO mode (no indicator in Display, contrary to Sport mode) the CC blower switches to a lower Speed and I presume to less Energy use. Also the trottle Response is bad. Therefore I only use the ECO mode on the motorway with activated Cruse control
but have to say I still have to notice a lower Petrol use.
Cars: C5 Aircross 180 Shine ,BMW Z4 E89. 2.8i sDrive
Deleted User 348

Post by Deleted User 348 »

Hi,
I've a diesel Auto and what I've found, apart from more sluggish throttle response and changing up sooner, is it will free wheel more.
Its more noticeable on A roads rather than motorways. You can see the difference if you watch rev counter when you lift off throttle, the revs will drop to tick-over in Eco mode where in normal the engine keeps revs up a bit higher.
You almost coast sometimes as it feels like you loose engine breaking.
I think somewhere I read in manual it also saves wear on gearbox.
However I've yet to notice any difference in fuel consumption.

Len
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

I have had a Peugeot 3008 diesel manual as a loan car today. After seeing this thread, I tried the sport mode, and what I found was that it certainly sharpens the throttle response. If you accelerate in, say, third gear with sport off, and switch sport on without changing the throttle opening, the acceleration is markedly better. Allied to this is the recalibration of the gear change indicator which suggests changing up at higher revs.

I really don't understand the comment above about the revs dropping on slowing. The revs drop in line with the road speed in any gear, so cannot change with sport mode on.
Deleted User 348

Post by Deleted User 348 »

Routemaster1,
Its an auto I was referring to in my reply when driving in Eco mode, in a manual agreed the revs would drop in line with road speed.
In sports mode in auto, as manual, the gears are held onto longer and throttle response is sharper.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

LenH wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 pm Routemaster1,
Its an auto I was referring to in my reply when driving in Eco mode, in a manual agreed the revs would drop in line with road speed.
In sports mode in auto, as manual, the gears are held onto longer and throttle response is sharper.
Sorry about that. I didn't realise!