Does anyone use their Park Assist (automatic parking)?

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
WombatAttack

Post by WombatAttack »

As far as I can tell, to activate park assist (automatic parking) you must:
1. Press the Driving Functions icon
2. Select Park Assist
3. Select the type of parking manoeuvre
4. Keep your speed under 20mph (or whatever the limit is)
5. Signal to select which side of the road to park on
6. At this stage it will now detect spaces and offer the option to park

Does anyone actually use this feature? In a busy city you would surely have to:
* Pull over as soon as you see a space
* Go through the steps above
* Slowly drive forward past the space
* Let the system park for you, assuming no one had taken your space in the meantime

Wouldn't it be a million times better if the indicator stalk button activated parallel parking mode (maybe with additional presses for the other parking modes)? Then you could do all of this without taking your eyes off the road. And the indicator stalk button is already spare because it replicates the voice command button on the steering wheel (or at least it does on my C3 Aircross).

Obviously none of this is a big deal as the Aircross is pretty easy to park, but it just seems such a waste of quite an advanced feature.

Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

I have not been brave enough. I used it a couple of times on my other car and found it quite unnerving so don't bother. In my opinion a heated windscreen would have been a better use of resources. This is one item I miss.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol Auto, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Wheels.
WombatAttack

Post by WombatAttack »

Actually I have tried it once (in a very quiet street), but wasn't sure if I was missing an easier way of activating it. Out of interest did your other car have a physical shortcut button for park assist?
jezparker

Post by jezparker »

I’ve done it a couple of times, both times in a public car park so it was the reverse bay parking feature. Did it for fun really to see what it’s like. Must admit it was much easier than I thought it would be in that all the steps to select it were actually pretty quick and easy once you’re familiar with it. Speed wise not an issue in the car park as it’s slow going there anyhow. I would imagine in a busy city once you’ve selected it and which side then it would be trickier as the indicator is constantly on until it finds a suitable space. The actual manoeuvre itself at first was a bit weird and nerve racking as it gets very close to other vehicles, but in the end one swift move and parked perfectly, no straightening up needed. Kids thought it was funny and called it the “ghost car”.
C5 Aircross Flair 1.2 petrol manual. Platinum Grey
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

WombatAttack wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:34 am Actually I have tried it once (in a very quiet street), but wasn't sure if I was missing an easier way of activating it. Out of interest did your other car have a physical shortcut button for park assist?
Yes, just press the Active parking assist button on the centre console and follow the dashboard instructions.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol Auto, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Wheels.
rdeknegt

Post by rdeknegt »

Andy, where is that button, whats the logo on it? This is new for me :o
Cars: C5 Aircross 180 Shine ,BMW Z4 E89. 2.8i sDrive
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi rdeknegt,
I was responding to the post by WombatAttack asking about my other car. The Citroën don't seem to have a shortcut whereas the Mercedes does.
I think it's a bit pointless to have to go through the screen to activate it. By the time you have done that you would have half the world honking at you.
rdeknegt

Post by rdeknegt »

Andy, u are Right, normal parking is faster
Cars: C5 Aircross 180 Shine ,BMW Z4 E89. 2.8i sDrive
Mort666

Post by Mort666 »

I must have a go at it.
AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

Its very clever, and I tried it out a couple of times in a car park that wasn't too busy. In honesty I feel I could park manually faster than the auto thing so have never used it again.