C5 Automatic lighting issue.

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
PeteUK

Post by PeteUK »

Hi,
This is my first post (apart from an introduction) so I hope this is in the right place!

I'm wondering if I have a fault with my automatic lighting or whether it's working as designed.
I have the lighting set to AUTO but the side lights come on (together with the side lights lamp on the dashboard display) in conditions where I would expect just daytime running lights to be on.
I have read in the manual that side lights and headlights would be activated in varying light levels. But even in bright sunshine the sidelights are on.

Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks.
C5 Aircross Flair 1.2 130 S&S manual - Pearl White

rdeknegt

Post by rdeknegt »

Same with my car, also the car I did a test Drive, so I do think ist normal
Cars: C5 Aircross 180 Shine ,BMW Z4 E89. 2.8i sDrive
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

....and mine.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol Auto, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Wheels.
PeteUK

Post by PeteUK »

Thanks for the sort of reassurance but it doesn't sound right does it?
It's a quite distinctive car and having the rear lights on all the time seems to be more of shout of 'Look at me!' which I'm not really interested in.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

I did post but it seems to have disappeared. On the C4 Picasso (~2010 on, UK spec) the auto function switches on the headlights, rear lights and DRLs on low intensity. It doesn't switch sidelights. In fact, there are no sidelights at all, the sidelight function is filled by DRLs on low intensity. Daft question, but have you checked whether the rear lights are actually on?
PeteUK

Post by PeteUK »

Thanks routemaster1
Yes,the rear lights are definitely on (all the time!)
rdeknegt

Post by rdeknegt »

it is nowadays allowed to have the taillights on, having dailights
Mine Former Mazda mx5 had the same.
Cars: C5 Aircross 180 Shine ,BMW Z4 E89. 2.8i sDrive
PeteUK

Post by PeteUK »

Hi, sorry to go on about it but I'm trying to work out if this is a fault with the automatic lighting.
I think the rear lights being on in daylight compromises the effect of the break lights.
Does anyone NOT have their side lights on all the time when using Auto lighting?
thanks
srperry

Post by srperry »

Mine are on all the time the engine is running - this is by design. See page 81 of the online manual section "Daytime running lamps/
sidelamps" which states that "The front and rear lamps light up automatically when the engine starts".

Personally I don't have an issue with it. The difference in brightness between rear sidelights and brake lights is enormous; if what you perceive to be a danger was true then the issue would be exascerbated at night IMHO. And if a benefit of having them on is the tailgate-muppets think I'm braking and keep further back, that's great! :)
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Seems like a good idea to me - it might have been introduced due to all the morons you see driving around with only front DRLs at dusk, in heavy rain & fog etc. (even at night sometimes). Never a Citroen of course! :lol:
C3 Aircross Flair 1.2 110 Auto with Parking & Family packs & sunroof