Using Park mode in Eat8 auto box c5 aircross

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
guyver78

Post by guyver78 »

It is my first auto so I am still a little green in this regard. When parking on a flat surface for few seconds, such as the duration of time required to close the garage door, do I need to engage my parking brake on my c5 aircross?

Moreover upon stopping somewhere shall I first engage park and following that the handbrake or is it better first to engage handbrake and then shift the transmission to park?

I have read a lot on line on reducing the life of the locking pin if I use park mode all the time?
Last edited by guyver78 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi,
I have been driving auto cars for years and I have always done the following.
1) Stop the car
2) Keep foot on brake
3) Engage Park then Parking brake
4) Remote foot from brake pedal.
You can reverse point 3 if you wish, it doesn't matter, the important thing is to keep the car stationary while you engage park and parking brake (used to be called handbrake in the old days)
The "park pawl" in the gearbox could be damaged if you say park on a hill and rely on the gearbox only to take the strain without using the parking brake. Nowadays they are a lot stronger than in the old Borg Warner gearbox days so are quite forgiving just don't abuse the privelige of modern technology.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol Auto, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Wheels.
guyver78

Post by guyver78 »

Thanks for the reply handy Andy... I am basically doing just that.. If I am on flat surface and I will be driving off shortly, do I still apply parking brake..? Or park mode is enough? What do recommend?Tnx
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi guyver78,
Not quite sure what you mean. If you are in traffic waiting to move off, no need for parking brake just hold the car on the footbrake in drive mode. I only use park and parking brake when the car is parked. If you are stationary in drive mode the auto boxes dual clutch mechanism is disengaged to prevent wear. Also the start stop device will operate if you stay in drive mode.
If this doesn't answer your question feel free to come back.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol Auto, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Wheels.
guyver78

Post by guyver78 »

Dear Andy thanks for coming back :) This is what I mean - If i am stationary for few mins with the car still switched on, waiting to pick someone for instance, or until i close my garage door - During those instances when the car's engine is still running, and i intend to drive off shorty, is parking mode enough? or do i need to put on parking brake as well?
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

If its only a few minutes when you stop, the start stop device will be activated and the engine will stop. Keep your foot on the brake until you want the engine to fire into life. (Leaving the car in "Drive")
If you are getting out of the car use Park and the brake. The brake keeps the car stationary,Park on the gearbox locks the transmission. I wouldn't let the transmission be used to keep the car still.
guyver78

Post by guyver78 »

Handy Andy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:43 am If its only a few minutes when you stop, the start stop device will be activated and the engine will stop. Keep your foot on the brake until you want the engine to fire into life. (Leaving the car in "Drive")
If you are getting out of the car use Park and the brake. The brake keeps the car stationary,Park on the gearbox locks the transmission. I wouldn't let the transmission be used to keep the car still.
Thanks a lot for the assistance. Now it is clear
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Pleasure.
Enjoy your new car.
What model and spec did you go for?
guyver78

Post by guyver78 »

Dear Andy,

My ride is a Flair, 130 bhp Diesel, Grey with black roof and red inserts..auto of course

car2.jpg

:D
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Same appearance as mine except I opted for the black wheels.