C5 Aircross tyre pressure question

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
jezparker

Post by jezparker »

Couple of questions:
1. Twice now the app has shown a low tyre pressure warning and when I tap on it, it then also says “faulty pressure sensor” and to contact my dealer. Both times however there has been no warning on the dash and the pressures have checked out fine, albeit a little high - see question 2. The warning on the app has then disappeared after refuelling (it has happened both times when I’ve been low on petrol). Has anyone else had this happen? Seems like a problem with the app as I can’t find any fault with the car.

2. Which leads me to my next question. What pressures are people using for their C5 Aircross? It is the flair model with 18 inch wheels. The reason I ask this is the label inside the door states 2.1 bar for normal/light loads and 2.2 bar for front and 2.7 bar for back tyres with heavy load, and on checking the pressures for the first time (only had the car few weeks) I see the pressures set from the dealer/factory are at 2.5 front and 2.7 back.

Thanks for any advice
Last edited by jezparker on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C5 Aircross Flair 1.2 petrol manual. Platinum Grey

Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

For some reason all manufacturers set the tyre pressures higher than required at the factory. It is up to the dealer to set them correctly during the PDI. I am yet to find a dealer who does this whatever make of vehicle I have bought.
Stick to what is on the door panel.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol Auto, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Wheels.
jezparker

Post by jezparker »

Thanks Handy Andy!! Yes I think I will set the pressures to that on the door. Didn’t realise that factory set them higher like that.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

re the App. yes it is a bit flakey. I have had the odd message which the car did not agree with. 1) overheating engine when car was still cold, 2) wrong tyre pressures and 3) no journies or missing journies when I know they should be there. I think it's a Beta app and hope Citroen will improve it over time.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol Auto, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Wheels.
jezparker

Post by jezparker »

Yeah sounds like the app has a few bugs.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

There are a couple of aspects of this thread that are confusing me.

Firstly, what app is this that you are using? There is no need to use an app. All modern cars are required by law to be fitted with tyre pressure monitoring, and the C5 Aircross will have it as standard.

Secondly, the OP says that the warning says 'faulty pressure sensor'. Unfortunately the system does not have sensors in the wheels. The system works by continuously monitoring the rate of rotation of the wheels via the ABS rings. If a tyre is losing pressure the rolling radius gets smaller, and the wheel has to turn faster and this is picked up by the car's system, giving a warning. If there is a problem with the ABS sensors you will get ABS warnings.

So I suggest you ignore any app warnings and only worry if you get a warning on your screen.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi routemaster1
the app I was referring to is the "My Citroen" app loaded on my phone. It's the one that tracks your yournies , fuel consumption , dealer locator etc. which it does quite well . It is let down by spurious alerts for the cars performance faults. Hence it's a bit buggy here and these faults are best ignored.
jezparker

Post by jezparker »

Hi Routemaster ,
As Handy Andy mentioned the app is one which owners can download and it gives information on journeys such as fuel consumption, distance etc. It also locates the car on a map, gives warnings of faults etc. But it appears a bit buggy. These warnings are not instead of those on the car’s dash, just supplementary.

I never said the car doesn’t have tyre pressure monitoring. As you state all modern cars have it. That was never in question. The thing that initially worried me was that I was getting the faulty pressure sensor warning on the app, “tyre pressure too low”, and “faulty tyre pressure sensor (rear right). Contact your local Citroen dealer” - the exact wording. However as this was not showing on the car’s dash I decided it was a buggy app - confirmed by others also on the Citroen Facebook group. The car dash has separate warning lights for tyre pressure and for ABS. For low tyre pressure it has a symbol looking like a flat tyre. If this symbol is accompanied by a spanner then it is indicating a fault with the monitoring system. There is a separate ABS warning light.

But overall yes the bottom line is to take notice of any warnings on the dash over those of the app.
Deleted User 348

Post by Deleted User 348 »

Thanks for the advice on tyre pressures.
I've had my C5 Aircross for around 6 weeks now and thought I better check pressures after this.
Found all the tyre were pumped up to 3 bar................ Should be 2.1
Set correctly now so will be interesting how it affect handling and ride as I had found rear end can jump around a bit when pushing it around corners.