Possible clutch and handbrake issue?

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 »

Just collected a C3 Aircross rental car with the 1.2 petrol engine.

I've driven many cars and like the majority of folk, consider myself a confident driver (over confident at times). I've only ever driven one Citroen before tho. Everytime I step in to a new car it usually takes a few miles before things become comfortable but after 2hrs of driving the C3 I'm still a nervous wreck. Just wondering if my experiences are characteristics of the C3 or there may be a mechanical issue.

Firstly the handbrake - I just seem to have problems releasing it. Have now got in to the habit of waiting until the first click when applying it but I'm scared this might not be enough for hill starts. If I pull the handle all the way up ( 3 or four clicks) I have real trouble releasing the catch to lower the handbrake again. I've already had a few people indicate their feelings towards me when I fail to pull out from a junction as quickly as they or I'd like. Does that sound familiar?

The main problem tho is with the clutch, the bite point of which is almost undetectable. Normally when releasing the clutch, as the revs begin to drop thats the the time to apply gentle accelerator for a smooth get away, but in the C3 the engine revs don't fade when releasing the clutch, they drop suddenly. I'm able to counter this by applying more accelerator than I'd normally do ( which no doubt will lead to premature clutch wear ) but when that bite point is reached, without me pressing the accelerator any harder, the revs immediately increase by 1000 rpm. I'm not sure if it's some built-in anti stall mechanism or if the clutch is already knackered. That's hard to believe in a car that's only covered 4000 miles.

Just wondering my experience is a characteristic of this engine / gearbox or could the car have a mechanical issue? As I say it's taken me 2hrs of driving to sort of adapt, but it's not a car I'm confident in when pulling out in to traffic - there were a few moments at roundabouts today when I thought to myself 'there goes the insurance excess' :lol:

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Wh have a petrol 1.2 C3, and have never had the issue with the handbrake, although the actual lever is different. It is a traditional handle. This may vary with engine power as well as, as lower powered versions may have drum rather than disc brakes.

The clutch has never been an issue for us. It is rather 'soft' but it seems that Citroen may have introduced some kind of anti-stall software as the engine revs rise a little as the clutch is raised.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Hi Golfmk56, I've got an automatic with the petrol engine but test drove a manual & didn't like it myself. Do you know if the start/stop is activated when you're trying to pull away? I found the combination of start/stop, the handbrake and a message saying 'fully depress clutch to start engine' or similar quite annoying.

In fact even with the auto, I turn start/stop off as roundabouts can be tricky - although when the engine starts it does so very quickly, it's still better to have the engine running! I had start/stop on my previous C4 Picasso diesel auto and it was fine most of the time, but find it more annoying/obtrusive with the petrol engine (although the C4P also had an automatic parking brake which made things easier).

Regarding hill starts, I think all Aircross models have a hill hold function so shouldn't be a problem? (I could be wrong)

Other than that, I find the handbrake OK.
C3 Aircross Flair 1.2 110 Auto with Parking & Family packs & sunroof
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

My manual drives perfectly normally. No problems with the clutch, no problem with the handbrake, no revving of the engine when I pull away and I've never even seen a message telling me to "depress the clutch to start the engine" Are you trying to put it in gear without pressing the clutch! I didn't drive the automatic so I can't comment on that.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 »

Well this is 4th day with car and still no confidence.

Handbrake. What I'm having to do is pull the release catch up, then pull the whole handbrake up before lowering it. What a faff. What I was doing a few days ago was pulling the release ( or pressing the button on a typical handbrake) and lowering it.

Clutch. Nope still haven't got the hang of it. Sometimes I pull away OK but at othertimes I just have no idea what's going to happen. Have never experienced a car like this before. It's like an American who's been used to driving auto's all their life, trying a manual for the first time.

I only have it until Sunday so until then... keep clear of any black C3 Aircrosses you see in Central Scotland :lol:

Thanks for the advice.
srperry

Post by srperry »

You are supposed to pull the handbrake prefer up slightly and press the button to release it with all cars that have a lever handbrake, otherwise you wear the ratchet prematurely. Can't help with the clutch though...
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Seconded. On my past cars I always had to press and pull up a little before lowering the handbrake.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.