Whats the real MPG?

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Averaging 47mpg after 10,000 miles.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.

sotnas

Post by sotnas »

I use MyCitroen but also Spritmonitor.

For now, with over 10.000 kms, the fuel consumption is set at 5,43l/100km. My wife uses the car mainly in short journeys in the city. I tend to use it in less heavy traffic routes. And shes revs up the car more than it needs so the mileage drops a bit, overall because of her habits of driving.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

The issue with this is, what is the real miles per gallon. I have seen many people posting in many places and they nearly always quote the computer reading. This is not always accurate and is usually optimistic, sometime by quite a lot. We have a C3 110bhp HDi, and it recons that it is doing high 60s mpg, but filling and calculating from that shows it is only doing high 50s. We had a similar issue with a diesel Clio which was overestimating by @10mpg. In this case the issue was the computer recording of the fuel usage, It would tell you it had used 10 gallons of fuel, but it required 11 gallons to fill, so that made it 10% out.
Last edited by routemaster1 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sotnas

Post by sotnas »

routemaster1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:56 pm The issue with this is, what is the real miles per gallon. I have seen many people posting in many places and they nearly always quote the computer reading. This is not always accurate and is usually optimistic, sometime by quite a lot. We have a C3 110bhp HDi, and it recons that it is doing high 60s mpg, but filling and calculating from that shows it is only doing high 50s. We had a similar issue with a diesel Clio which was overestimating bu @10mpg. In this case the issue was the computer recording of the fuel usage, It would tell you it had used 10 gallons of fuel, but it required 11 gallons to fill, so that made it 10% out.
If you use Spritmonitor app, it calculates your mileage based on actual refillments. For example, in my last refill, my BC was reading 5,7l/100km but the calculations based on the amount of fuel and miles was 5,53l/100km.
Tuneras

Post by Tuneras »

After 470 km (bought the car a couple of weeks ago) I consume 6.0 liters per 100 km. (=47 mpg) Mostly in moderate speeds, highway and suburbs, not so much in the the city (Stockholm).
/ Hans

PS The car now has 2200 km, consumption indicated by the car computer (consumption would probably be a little worse in reality since speedometer indicates a little higher speed than the true speed)
C3 Aircross 110 5-speed, Feel, natural white
city pack /swedish edition, heated front seats, wireless charging, automatic wipers,
auto safety brake, rear parking sensors
production date 05 april 2018
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Tuneras wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:27 pm After 470 km (bought the car a couple of weeks ago) I consume 6.0 liters per 100 km. (=47 mpg) Mostly in moderate speeds, highway and suburbs, not so much in the the city (Stockholm).
/ Hans

PS The car now has 2200 km, consumption indicated by the car computer (consumption would probably be a little worse in reality since speedometer indicates a little higher speed than the true speed)
Indicated speed is no issue. The simple thing is that the distance travelled must be accurate, and the fuel used must be accurate. We and the car computer use the same source for mileage, and we can only assume it is correct. The consumption is the most difficult variable, as the computer can get it wrong (see my post above), and using the quantity used to fill may vary between pumps and how much you try to fill after the pump clicks off. Our C3s (2011 110bhp HDi and 2016 100bhp Blue HDi would both take ~5L after the pump clicked; this 5L could make a huge difference to apparent consumption. Our C4 Grand Picasso only takes ~1L after the click, so that is quite accurate. However, on continental trips, two tankfuls of fuel which give the same mpg on the computer give up to 5 mpg difference when calculated from a fill.
vegetaleb

Post by vegetaleb »

I didn't scientifically test it but it's at least as good as my ex ds3 vti.
I went twice to a 700m high mountain and 1800m high one at ski slopes and lot of city trafic before the petrol counter went down to 1/4, so I must say it's pretty good.