Dash cam

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Andi

Post by Andi »

Can anyone advise me on installing a dash cam. According to the handbook only approved items by Citroen are recommended. I plugged in my old dash cam, which worked ok in my last Citroen and I blew the fuse. Citroen fixed it when it went in for a recall. The mechanic said it was too powerful for the car. However none of the staff were aware of the wording in the aircross handbook and couldn’t advise me. Oh, the head man at the dealership told me to go to Halfords as he told his mother this would be ok and buy a cheap one. GREAT so the small print gives Citroen a stick to beat you with. I have kept his email.

RosieG

Post by RosieG »

I had the next base 512GW ultra in my Citroen C4 Cactus which I bought from Halfords around 12+ months ago. Halfords fitted it then and when we sold it and had the Aircross a couple of months ago they put it in again for me. I have it on the passenger side of the front windscreen rather than the middle of the screen because of the camera box for the Aircross under the mirror. It works fine is not in the way and I haven't had any problems.
Freedombtn

Post by Freedombtn »

I have 2 nextbase cameras 1 front 1 rear + sat nav all powered by twin cigarette lighter/ usb adapter powered from main power supply to fuse box via fuse.
Ps i wired it up myself
Andi

Post by Andi »

Thanks for all the information will look into Next Base.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

The USB socket in the car can only supply a minimal current so if you plugged it in to there via a USB to Micro USB lead, it may well have not worked. If you plugged it into the lighter socket via an adaptor that cam with the camera, you should have had no problem. The lighter socket can provide enough power to run 20 dashcams so if it fused when you plugged one in, there is a problem with your camera and plug.

Please could you tell me which you did? If you had it plugged into the USB socket and it drew too much power, it should have just not powered the cam. USB standards are that if you try to draw too much power from one, it shouldn't damage the equipment. If 'blew' the UBS port then the ports don't confirm to USB standard spec and are not allowed to be called USB ports.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Thanks for the info, the camara lead plug seemed too tight when pushed in the cigar socket at the front so tried it in the back one, it was only when we pulled it out it that we think the problem arose. Both sockets fused and also the fuse inside the camera lead blew. Now in the bin. Looking at a nextbase one. Useful info about it being able to power 20 dash cams. Thanks again.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Yes, you had a bad plug and when you pulled it out, it shorted inside and blew everything. The lighter sockets are rated at 10 amps (120Watts at 12 Volts) and a dashcam should only be taking half an amp at the most.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
Whitebeard

Post by Whitebeard »

I am picking my new Aircross up on Friday. On my current car (Skoda Yeti), my dashcam is wired via a piggyback connector, and an inline fuse, to the rear screen wiper fuse - which is only live when the ignition is on. Has anyone wired theirs in in a similar fashoin? and, which fuse did you use?
C3 Aircross Flair 2018 1.2 petrol Auto box. Red,black roof and trim