Spare wheel

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Freedombtn

Post by Freedombtn »

Can anybody explain the logic of the spare wheel tyre well in boot.
Yes it fits a space saver nicely.
But should you be unfortunate to have a puncture the well is not big enough( diameter) to take you're punctured full size wheel and tyre.
Don't believe me ! Try it
Not very good Citroen.

Jay R

Post by Jay R »

That's pretty standard, my last car had that as well. Sounds perfectly sensible to me. Why would you want to have a smaller boot just because for a few hours every X years you want to fit a full size punctured wheel in ? That extra thickness has to come from somewhere, either the ground clearance would have to be made smaller or the boot would.
I think I average a puncture every 4 years. If the boot floor was raised what, 8-10cm so you can fit a full size wheel in there, it would take a good chunk out of the remaining space. Nearly as much as the raised floor. I'd rather have the larger boot for the other 99.9% of the time.
Even if the punctured tyre did fit in the boot, I wouldn't go through the hassle of putting it all back anyway, I'd just sling it in the back and drive to the nearest repair place, get it sorted and put back on.

That's why they call them 'space saver' wheels.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
Freedombtn

Post by Freedombtn »

I would agree with all of your comments, but as a driving instructor we have to have a full size wheel/tyre as a spare as a space saver is not acceptable on test ( speed related).
It's not just the depth it the diameters well, so in my opinion very poor of Citroen.
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

I get what you are saying but fact is it's pretty unusual to get a car that can fit a full size wheel in the boot these days. Almost certain on smaller cars and you are lucky to even get a spare at all as many of them come with repair kits instead. Sure, there are some out there but it's dying off. I think you'll have to come to grips with carrying one in the boot with your shopping if you need it.

Sounds odd that you can't get it in diameter wise. Didn't try it myself but I'll take your word for it. Is it out by a few mm or is the spare actually considerably smaller? If it is, wouldn't that give you a lopsided ride and affect the handling a fair amount. I guess the profile of the smaller tyre would be rounder and so the full size wouldn't fit all the way to the bottom but it should go in part way yes ?
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.