Citroen C5 Aircross 2019 Flair Plus 2.0 Hdi - Suspension harder than expected

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Mantisman

Post by Mantisman »

Hi all,

I've recently bought a C5 Aircross Flair Plus 2.0 Hdi (2019) and I'm finding the suspension a lot harder than I was expecting. The reviews I read before buying the car raved about the "Progressive hydraulic cushions" in the shock absorbers giving a "magic carpet" type ride but I'm not getting this at all.

The car makes smooth motorway feel a lot bumpier than it actually is and makes long distance drives very tiring.

It's only done 17000 miles so I wouldn't have thought it needs new shock absorbers already.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Regards,

Ian

srperry

Post by srperry »

I find the ride incredibly comfortable. Have you tried checking the tyre pressures?
Last edited by srperry on Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Beanee3

Post by Beanee3 »

Tyre pressures even 0.1 bar will make a difference.
The other factor could be the actual tyres. On the passenger door B post is a plate with tyre pressures and tyre size. That will be for the original tyres as fitted. Not sure what are on C5 but C3 Bridgestone. If different tyres have been fitted then may be they are if different side wall construction making them harder.
Worth looking at same model in a carpark.
I changed my original Bridgestones on my last C3 Aircross afor cheap tyres as I was trading it but had severe punctures. Ride was awful.
chapi72

Post by chapi72 »

All reviews say the 19" wheels ride harder but I don't notice that.
Just switched to CrossClimate tyres and it still rides very well.
----
Current : MY20 C5 Aircross Flair Plus, Black
Cancelled : MY22 C5 Aircross, Hybrid, Eclipse Blue, City Park, Dark Chrome Pack :cry:
Previous: MY16 C4 Grand Picasso Feel
Previous: MY14 C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive +
srperry

Post by srperry »

I have Micelin GreenX Primacy 3 tyres fitted, and they are comfortable and quiet. The usual cause of an uncomfortable ride is over-inflated tyres. If the tyres are all the same, in good condition, and inflated correctly, you should be ok...
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Mantisman

Post by Mantisman »

Thanks so much for everyone's help on this problem. I will certainly check the tyre pressures at the weekend.

The tyres are Michelin Latitude Tour HP - 235 55 R18. As the car has only done 17000 miles, I presume these are the tyres that came with the car when it was new.

When I bought it, I was surprised to see it had 18 inch wheels as I thought the Flair Plus model came with 19 inch wheels as standard. I was pleased that it did have 18 inch wheels as I know the 19 inch wheels give a harder ride.
Telfer. STR

Post by Telfer. STR »

Well Mantisman, How did you find your Tyre Pressure settings over the week-end?
Hopefully you found what is causing your problem. Please let us know how you got on..
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

The Flair Plus came with 19's standard in 2019. Maybe the previous owner asked for a change to 18's.
I have covered 63000 miles in the past five years and am on my third set of tyres. The ride is as good now as when I got the car new. I haven't found any difference in the ride between the tyre pressures being set for two people or fully loaded.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol Auto, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Wheels.