Citroen c3 and Android Auto

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Mulann

Post by Mulann »

Good afternoon, I have a Citroën c3 aircross 1.2 puretech from 2023, and I can't find a USB type-c cable that allows me to connect Android Auto. I tried it with a cable and turned it on the first time and from then on it never worked again, not even with that cable. I've tried several and none allow the connection. Can anyone explain to me why this happens? Or advise some cable?
Thank you very much

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

The vehicle does not support USB C directly as you know, so obviously you will need a converter like this, but I'm assuming this is what you've got, or you have a USB C to standard USB cable.

The issues can be length of the cable - get one as short as possible and a good quality one - not a cheapo Chinese thing that will incinerate your vehicle. Also, check your phone USB port - the easiest and most common problems are lint and dirt in the port that cause a bad connection. It should be carefully cleaned with some compressed air (gently) using a small cannister type and or some electrical contact cleaner (not WD40).

USB C.png

The other thing is brand of phone. It is well know that some of the more obscure Chinese branded phones are not compatible and cause issues. I've seen it happen loads of times....
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

When you say a usb c cable, is that the car end or the phone end? I'm asking because our other car needs a usb c to usb c.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

It really depends on your equipment / phone / device.

E.g. My Apple HomePod Minis are wired with a USB C, so plug into a USB C 3 pin wall socket.
Some later phones will have both a USB C connection at the phone end and the other end - again needing a specific USB C plug type or an adapter that will convert USB C to standard USB if you only have those USB type of sockets available (as is likely to be the case above).

Of course the advantages of greater data transfer speeds and capacity as well as quicker charging will be lost without the supporting USB C plugs / USB C sockets at the other end - but that's not so much an issue for Android Auto / CarPlay of course where we just need the connectivity.
Mulann

Post by Mulann »

It is a long cable, and i try with my phone cable to, it has a end with type c and the other end is usb.
Mulann

Post by Mulann »

and I have a pocco x5 pro, but it's strange because I already managed to connect, but after that, even with the same cable, it never connected again.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

I did a trip to Germany with our C3 using google maps from my phone (USB A to USB C) and half way through the trip it failed. Turned out to be the cable. New cable solved it.

A few weeks ago I took my C3 into the workshop because the footage from the connected camera couldn't be downloaded to my laptop. (USB A to USB Micro). Tried several cables but no luck. Turned out to be the cables, used a genuine Samsung cable and it was fine.

So my suggestion is to use a high quality branded cable.
Last edited by routemaster1 on Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Mulann wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:28 am It is a long cable, and i try with my phone cable to, it has a end with type c and the other end is usb.
I forgot to mention, use as short a cable as possible as there is also a length of cable behind the dash to the head unit from the USB port, so this should be factored in - the longer the cable the more this will affect performance.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

I really can't recommend cables to you I'm afraid, as I only ever use original OEM cables to avoid any issues.