C5 aircross speed limiter- how to turn on permanently?

All Citroen Aircross related discussions
Butterflystar

Post by Butterflystar »

Hi
We have a 21 plate c5 aircross and use the speed limiter and the intelligent assist but at the moment keep having to turn it on and then double press the MEM button every time it detects new speed limit. I’d there any way of having this setting on all the time with no need to press MEM?
Thank you! 😊

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

No, it's a safety thing.
martyness

Post by martyness »

No as the system was optional at the time the car was built. However the system is being made permanent in all new cars now (look up EU speed limiter law). So any new model 72 plate cars will have the system on as standard and existing models have to make it mandatory by 2024 (you'll be able to disable it but it's automatically on by default) and should change automatically as the speed limit changes.
C5 aircross flair plus platinum grey metallic with red inserts
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

IIRC, cruise control and speed limiter have been standard equipment on all Citroens for many years, at least 2007, except perhaps C1s. C4 Picassos since start in 2007, or C3 (2011) etc.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

That's correct ^ Cruise and limiter functions have been around for years, the later system just have a different implementation integrated into the speed sign recognition.

To be clear as that can be a bit misleading: They will NOT be mandating it on all cars by 2024.

That only relates to new cars sold from 6 July 2022. The 2019/2044 regulation also mandates NEW vehicles that have already been sold at this time which have already launched, be fitted with an Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) by 7 July 2024.

I find it totally cumbersome and in certain circumstances dangerous! I prefer to use the cruise control in conjunction with the speed sign recognition. With this active, it's only a press to engage or disengage or press up or down to increase / decrease the speed slightly. Even on a manual gearbox now, improvements mean that the cruise remains active even when changing gears, so no need to keep re-activating it all the time every time you change gear. ;)

In some emergency or avoidance situations you may need a quick spurt of speed and unless you floor the accelerator (literally) to override the system nothing will happen. I should also add that the number of people that have loose car mats, either laying on top of the stud-fastened Citroen mats or using the non-fastened type will find that they creep forward under the accelerator. That basically stops the accelerator from being able to kick down to the board and override the limiter, so game over.