Aircon issue

New to the Citroen Aircross Forums? Introduce yourself here
Oz1511

Post by Oz1511 »

Hi all, just took delivery of 2 yr old C3 Aircross. My Aircon defaults to on every time I start the car, even though I turn it off each time before. Annoyingly it can be quite a long time before I notice and surely there must be a way of making Aircon something you actually choose to switch on rather than happen automatically? Thanks!

Jay R

Post by Jay R »

It shouldn't be doing that. Doesn't on mine.

It is air con right, not climate control...
Last edited by Jay R on Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
BusybeasC5A

Post by BusybeasC5A »

If you have temperature settings on LO , it will.. every time... it does so on our C5 aircross too.

You can /should be able to turn it off , and use normal heating controls..

Try increasing the temp controls, and turning the a/c control off, it should then act as normal heating / cooling system.

In our C5A , a/c is activated by turning temp to LO.. or pushing the A/C to on, within touch screen,
I am of course assuming the C3A will work in similar way ?
NOW 2023 C4X Shine 130 1.2 Petrol EAT8 in Perla Nera Black
WAS 2021 C4 Shine Plus 130 HDI BLUE EAT 8 in Elixir Red
WAS 2020 C5 Aircross 130HDi BLUE EAT 8 Flair Plus in Platinum Grey
WAS 2016 DS4 EAT6 Blue Hdi
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Busybeas, you are talking about climate control. The post was about air con. They work differently. Of course, they may have meant climate control...
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

The first question is which model Aircross do you have.
Do you have a touch screen.

While waiting for that input.
Many think that climate control is also called Aircon.

Check that you do not have demist selected on asbthat will turn the Aircon on even though you have it turned off.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
BusybeasC5A

Post by BusybeasC5A »

Climate control is simply a posher version / upgrade to air con.. it is still aircon !
Has more sensors to allow finer settings across the vehicle, and is more automatic than manual and usually dual zone.

Still uses refrigerant and compressor /evaporator to cool the the air...

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/air-condi ... -0044#gref

Quelle surpreeze... even the touch screen controls says 'aircon' on or off....

Anyway the caveat used.. was " assuming the C3A works in a similar way "
Guess I must be one of the 'some people ' quoted then... :roll:
NOW 2023 C4X Shine 130 1.2 Petrol EAT8 in Perla Nera Black
WAS 2021 C4 Shine Plus 130 HDI BLUE EAT 8 in Elixir Red
WAS 2020 C5 Aircross 130HDi BLUE EAT 8 Flair Plus in Platinum Grey
WAS 2016 DS4 EAT6 Blue Hdi
Oz1511

Post by Oz1511 »

Thanks all, query is Aircon related! I will try increasing the temp as suggested then switch off a/c to see if this works.
Oz1511

Post by Oz1511 »

Thanks all, query is Aircon related! I will try increasing the temp as suggested then switch off a/c to see if this works.
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Do you perchance have the aircon set to “automatic”?
Worth noting, if you do not run your aircon regularly (it’s on constantly in mine) the system seals, which are lubricated by oil in the refrigerant, will harden and leak, leading to the need for regular recharging or even more costly maintenance.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Many car owners don't have a clue about the mechanicals. It's a car it's blue I love it end of.
I have been told many times that it's got air con but I don't use it as it uses fuel I open the windows (sorry that uses fuel too). Years later when selling car it needs a new compressor as they didn't use it.
Air con temp control is like your heating in the home. Cranking the temp down to its lowest or highest doesn't make it run colder or hotter it just makes it run for longer.
Your system can only produce cold refrigerant which cools the air by extracting the moisture and cooling it as it passes thru the evaporator. With the temp at 21 or 14 or 25 it still only produces the same degree of cold it just does it for different lengths of time. If the evaporator freezes solid due to trying to get to your dialled in 14 the system turns off till it thaws to protect the system, in both manual and automatic systems
The same with your home turn it up to 25 boiler just runs till it reaches an internal temp limit then it shuts off till the water in the rads returns to the boiler at a lower temp. The rads heat the house the boiler only heats the water.
Personally I only use the temp range 20 to 22.5 in my car but increase the fan speed if I want cooler faster.
In home use the range 21 to 22 in the hall but turn up the rad thermostatic valves in the rooms as required.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars