My First Citroen!

New to the Citroen Aircross Forums? Introduce yourself here
JohnLX

Post by JohnLX »

Hello everyone,

I am now the very proud owner of my very first Citroen - a 2019 C3 Aircross.

He, not a she, drives very well and there are no problems - only me understanding all of the new features!

There are a number of questions that I would like some help with but I am going to read through the forums messages first in case they have already been answered.

Cheers - John
C3 Aircross 110BHP Petrol Manual

JFS Dorset

Post by JFS Dorset »

Enjoy the car. I was still finding things out months after driving. The forums have lots of helpful information. Things like speed sign recognition was a surprise to me. :roll:
C3 Aircross 2019 with feel spec in silver and black. Previous car Citroen C5 Petrol VTR
JohnLX

Post by JohnLX »

Mine is a 2019 Flair Puretech SS - but I am still trying to find out what features are included as the manual doesn't seem to list specific model features!

Drives beautifully and is very comfortable.

There was one funny moment driving round the M25 when it switched profiles, for no clear reason, and would only speak in French.

The biggest 'dislikes' are -

1. Not having a built in dash-cam when earlier versions did and the later C5 does.

2. No display of the current speed limit on the sat-nav. My old Tom Tom Go 500 gives more information! Also the characters seem VERY small.

3. Speed sign recognition - do I have it? More often than not I get --- on the dash display and nothing on the Sat Nav which is VERY annoying.

4. Having to set up the display option to display speed limit each time I start the car.

5. The Start Stop function has NEVER EVER worked since I got it. Yes the battery IS fully charged and the feature enabled.

6. The car does not use any oil but what grade is needed should it require any? The user manual does not appear to specify this.

7. Not having a 'proper' clock that doesn't move around with the application.

8. I am still trying to figure out the memory function of the Speed limit and Cruise control while trying to avoid spending too much time looking down at it while driving trying to set it up.

9. Automatic wiper function seems to have a mind of its own and keeps wiping without any rain present.

10. ECO feature comes on after around 10 mins with nothing on but the radio. I have never had to run the engine on any other car just to use the radio.

11. Do I have the blind spot indicator mirrors on this model?

12. And having to pay £139 for the Tom Tom Speed camera option when it is free on a device that cost less.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

JohnLX wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:30 am Mine is a 2019 Flair Puretech SS - but I am still trying to find out what features are included as the manual doesn't seem to list specific model features!

Drives beautifully and is very comfortable.

There was one funny moment driving round the M25 when it switched profiles, for no clear reason, and would only speak in French.

The biggest 'dislikes' are -

1. Not having a built in dash-cam when earlier versions did and the later C5 does.

2. No display of the current speed limit on the sat-nav. My old Tom Tom Go 500 gives more information! Also the characters seem VERY small.

3. Speed sign recognition - do I have it? More often than not I get --- on the dash display and nothing on the Sat Nav which is VERY annoying.

4. Having to set up the display option to display speed limit each time I start the car.

5. The Start Stop function has NEVER EVER worked since I got it. Yes the battery IS fully charged and the feature enabled.

6. The car does not use any oil but what grade is needed should it require any? The user manual does not appear to specify this.

7. Not having a 'proper' clock that doesn't move around with the application.

8. I am still trying to figure out the memory function of the Speed limit and Cruise control while trying to avoid spending too much time looking down at it while driving trying to set it up.

9. Automatic wiper function seems to have a mind of its own and keeps wiping without any rain present.

10. ECO feature comes on after around 10 mins with nothing on but the radio. I have never had to run the engine on any other car just to use the radio.

11. Do I have the blind spot indicator mirrors on this model?

12. And having to pay £139 for the Tom Tom Speed camera option when it is free on a device that cost less.
I hope I can be helpful. There are common areas to our C3 Flair petrol, so I hope that this helps.
1. I'm not sure whether the C3 Aircross had the camera, the 2019 C3 Flair does.

5. Stop/start function can be an issue, and its function depends on many factors, including whether you are using the aircon (use of automatic aircon may not stop the function whilst the system is not actually chilling but may if it cuts in. The fact that you only get 10 minutes with only the radio on before economy mode cuts in may indicate that the battery may not be great. You cannot disable the stop/start permanently, it resets when you switch off and itch on again.I suggest you get the system checked when you can.

6. You don't say whether the car is petrol or diesel. The most important thing is that if it is a diesel you use the correct low SAPS oil to prevent the particulates filter blocking. Not necessary for petrol. The manual should give the required grade.

8. The system is easy to use. Cruise can only be set if you are travelling above the lower limit which is 20-25 mph. Just press the top + button to set. The set speed can be increased by pressing the + button until is reaches the speed you need. To lower the speed press the lower - button until it reaches the speed you require. The cruise switches off when you press the brake or push the end of the cruise stalk. To switch back on either press the end of the stalk. Cruise does not disengage when you use the clutch unlike earlier cars. The memory will be lost when the car is switched off and on.

Speed limiter works similarly. With the wheel on the stalk turned to select the speed limiter, press the + button to set. Then press + or - to change the setting. Unlike cruise, the speed limit setting is saved, and will be the same after a restart.

9. Try cleaning the screen in the area of the sensor. Most of the time mine work OK but sometimes I have to resort to manual control.

11. Do you have the icons on the ends of the mirror glasses. If so you should have it; if not then the answer is no.

12. I didn't bother with the built-in satnav. I have a Tom Tom and Android Auto which I use when I need navigation.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

The C3 Aircross doesn't have connected cam. According to several C5 Aircross owners neither do the new ones even though it was shown in the specs when ordered.

The showing of -- in the Speedo and in my case the head-up display only happens if I start the car and then don't go past a road sign. As soon as I do it activates.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
JohnLX

Post by JohnLX »

Thank you for the info which I found most useful.

I am REALLY surprised that the SAT-NAV doesn't display speed limits and why the display on the dash is not linked to it rather than reading sign post! Presumably this has something to do with legislation in France?

It really bugs me as I wanted a dash clear of other add on bits and pieces. As it is I have had to get a third party Dashcam installed and it really does not like being placed next to the light sensor/reader pod in the middle of the windscreen as part of the picture is lost.

Having trailing wires to an external DashCam and SAT-NAV is not my idea of a 21st century car neither does using an app on a Android phone plugged into a USB socket.

As much as I really enjoy this car the lack of SAT-NAV features from a internally fitted Tom Tom device is seriously going to influence my decision on my next car.
Hopefully someone from Citroen will pick up on this and issue an upgrade to the app?
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

The speed limit display is associated with both the reading of speed signs as well as the limit associated with the road. You do not get accurate speed information from sat nav mapping since it can take up to 18 months to update. This is particularly the case at present where lots of speed limits have been reduced from 30 to 20. The display reads the new 20 limit but can switch to 30 if it cannot see the next 20 sign. Similarly, where reduced 50 limits have replaced 70, again the sat nav is not keeping up. The in car camera reads these speed signs and Waze does show up these variations and reassures you that the correct limit is being fed to the operator.

I have just run through the online configuration of the C5 Aircross. The Camera is still listed as an option, as is the spare wheel and the panoramic sunroof, but as I listed in an earlier message in July, all these are now chargeable options and not included free.

Engine oil: TOTAL Quartz Ineo First 0w30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil 5 Litre 5l PSA PEUGEOT

Speed limiter:
It sound as though the C5 Aircross is different that the C3 Aircross setup.
On C5rotate teh centre of the limiter/cruise to select limiter. You can then pick up the car detected speed by pressing the button on the bottom of the limiter control. You must press this twice. The limiter will then select the speed and transfer it to the memory function. To vary the speed press the up or down button at the BACK of the control switch. To disengage the limit function temporarily press the button at the end of the switch. I would suggest that you practice that bit first since the controls can be used whilst stationary. Once you understand that bit, then the cruise function operated exactly these same functions, except that it needs a speed showing before it will switch on. Short way is to press the up or down button at the BACK of the switch.

Hope this helps. If you have worked out the various bits please do not be upset that I am trying to educate you from basics - there are lot of different options and functions to learn
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol EAT8, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Roof. Now traded for DS7 E Tense.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

If the C3 Aircross is similar to our C3, and from memory of loan cars, it is the same, the only memory the cruise has is the current setting which will only be remembered until the car is switched on.

The C5 may be closer to our C3, which has a separate memory button. Pressing that button will display several preset values (looking like speed limit signs) which allow you to set a cruise speed in multiples of 10 mph. The memory function is one of the features of the car which are unnecessary, like the park assist I have never used.
JohnLX

Post by JohnLX »

John, Thanks very much for the information I really DO appreciate it!

The penny has, finally, dropped with the speed limiter function!

And the oil was not what I was expecting to be used in this car so it was worth finding out about it - thank you. Why don't they list it?

The speed limit display is still a bit of a strange thing for me to come to terms with.
My old TomTom Go shows the speed limit in the bottom left of the display pretty much all of the time and is not hard to miss.
As 'best' as I can make out the only place to see this on the C3 is on the instrument panel and that is quite often only showing --- which doesn't help much.

It is also necessary to select speed limit option when you set off on every journey - you have a great big display that doesn't show it and a tiny instrument panel that does!
I have paid for the speed camera update. This does warn you by bleeping about a camera but not the camera limit. My eyesight isn't bad but trying to read that navigation display can be a challenge.

It just seems that they put a lot of thought into the car but the navigation system was a Friday afternoon job.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

JohnLX wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:03 pm
It is also necessary to select speed limit option when you set off on every journey - you have a great big display that doesn't show it and a tiny instrument panel that does!
You don't have to select the cruise function every time. Just leave it set to cruise and just press the + button when you have reached the speed you require.