Considering a used C5 aircross

New to the Citroen Aircross Forums? Introduce yourself here
kubes

Post by kubes »

Hello to everyone from a new member,
I am considering a second-hand C5 aircross (1.5D BlueHDi with EAT8) with around 30k kilometers (about 18k miles) on it. My concern with the car is that the current owner bought it as an ex-demo car (with about 16k kilometers/9k miles on it), given to a number of auto journalists for tests/reviews. Therefore I severely doubt that any run-in was performed to the car's mechanical parts, although I am not sure whether this is necessary or even recommended by Citroen (the handbook mentions that a trailer should not be towed before having driven at least 620 miles).

I had the car checked by an independent company and I was told that, although the car drives absolutely fine, there are indications of prior engine misuse, mainly the existence of dried oil over a length of about 9 cm / 3.5 inches at the cylinder head seam.
In addition, the OBDII check indicated a malfunction of the radar module (disabling automatic brake / cruise control functions) and a prior gearbox synchronization issue (I was told this might have been a "glitch"). The car is an early 2019 model and still in warranty.

Any thoughts or advices regarding what to make of these issues would be greatly appreciated !

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

With the improvement in tolerances, cleanliness of machining, materials and oil technology, running in is a thing of the past. Also we don't need an oil change after 500 miles and torquing down cylinder heads. As far as I am aware, there are no instructions in the handbook. I don't know the characteristics of the HDi engine with the EAT gearbox, but I suspect unless you really cane it , it rarely exceeds 2,500 rpm. So I wouldn't worry
Madman

Post by Madman »

"there are indications of prior engine misuse, "
Is that what their crystal ball said? What a load of rubbish.