Hello

New to the Citroen Aircross Forums? Introduce yourself here
maisiemoosdaddy

Post by maisiemoosdaddy »

Hi. We're looking at replacing our Citroen C4 Cactus and are thinking of looking at a C3 Aircross. We're also looking at a Seat Arona, among other small SUV types.

Although our Cactus has been generally good to get along with in the three years we've had it, both being reliable and frugal, it's been back to the dealership for a few things, most recently for new doors fitting due to a rust issue on the bottom of the door sills. In all honesty, the dealership have been more or less spot on and have sorted any problems without much fuss.

Has anyone had any major issues with their Aircross that we should be aware of? What's the current timescale on orders? Any help would be appreciated before we consider any further. Thanks.

RosieG

Post by RosieG »

Hi there we had a Citroen C4 Cactus for three years and didn't have any issues with it. We decided to part exchange for the Aircross back in April when we ordered the flair petrol with all the packs. We gave up waiting a few weeks ago as our dealer said he had no idea when it was likely to arrive and we decided after taking a diesel Flair out that we would go in that direction. Fortunately although it wasn't the colour we originally wanted they were able to source one with all the packs which was in the country. We picked it up just over a week ago and I have to say we are really pleased with it. Even my two daughters are impressed and the one daughter and her partner are looking at it as a possible replacement for theirs because of the flexibility of space and they have two dogs. I popped into the dealers the other day and I mentioned the car I had originally ordered and they told me they had managed to cancel it as apparently it hasn't even been started at the factory! So three months down the line and we were no further forward than when we ordered in April. This may or may not help you and I know there are others who didn't have to wait long. This is just my experience.
maisiemoosdaddy

Thanks for your feedback. It's good to hear from a previous Cactus owner that didn't have any issues!

We'd likely be looking at a Flair in Misty Grey or Soft Sand with either the 1.2 110 or 130 Puretech engine. Our Cactus is a Feel with the 82 Puretech and although it's surprisingly nippy and has decent in gear acceleration, I can't see that engine doing anything but struggle in the Aircross.

Regarding delivery times, it does seem there are issues right across the small SUV sector. Over on the Seat Arona and VW T-Roc forums, there are some stories of unbelievably long waiting times, some way in excess of six months. I suppose our only saving grace is that we wouldn't be wanting any packs or add-ons to the Flair trim. Maybe that would be seen as a fairly standard build. Who knows?

Pleased that you're liking the car. How do you feel it drives compared to the Cactus?
Jay R

Post by Jay R »

I have the 1.2 110 engine and I find it fine. If I were daily loading it up with a family, camping gear, a full roof-rack and going up and down the mountains, paying extra for the 130 may be something to think about but I don't really think it's worth it. The MPG is worse, the road tax band is higher, insurance will be more. For the small increase in performance that isn't really needed you'd be paying £400 more for the engine and around £120 per year more for petrol and VED plus whatever the insurance extra is.
I took my 1.2 110 to the lake district couple of weeks ago and with 2 adults, child and luggage it was very happy on the steeper hills.

I looked at the Arona as well. It has had good reviews and perhaps is fractionally better than the Aircross on paper but I liked the look and versatility of the Aircross more. I personally found the Arona was just a little too low a seat height and looked to 'business like' with it's straight edges and angles.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
maisiemoosdaddy

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely given me something to think about.

I had a closer look at an Aircross in Flair trim today and was pretty well impressed. Driving position is decent, fairly good visibility all round and everything slams shut with a thud. Very solid indeed. Bags of room front and rear and a good sized boot.

It really does look good both inside and out. It's got that 'wow' factor that perhaps the Arona doesn't quite have. Pretty sure we will be having a test drive in the next few weeks. It'll be interesting to see how the drive compares and if the 110 engine is the one for us.
maisiemoosdaddy

Finally took a test drive in a PureTech 110 Flair model yesterday. Pretty impressed all round. Decent driving position and visibility, good road manners, some body roll but nothing too nauseating, and nippy enough with a reasonable amount of shove low down for overtaking. Coped well on all roads and was pleasantly surprised at how it dealt with all manner of motorway driving.

Some decent tech on board too. The infotainment system was responsive and better than in the Cactus. Keyless entry, stop and start all worked well. The lane departure warning is slightly annoying but nothing to grumble about too much.

Although the clutch set up is much better than in the Cactus, the gearbox is a bit of a letdown. Baggy, flappy, indistinct and a bit crunchy. Changing from first to second wasn't particularly smooth, better in the other gears but not particularly great to use.

The handbrake is a bit odd. I got used to it after a few goes but my partner found it difficult to use and said it was causing her some backache. That's possibly a deal breaker as she'll be using the car on a daily basis.

Didn't manage to use the reverse camera but the rear parking sensors did a reasonable job, although not as precise as in my Fabia.

All in all, it's a very good car and certainly up there with the Seat Arona. It doesn't drive as well but makes up for it by being more practical and looking just that bit more distinctive. I like it but it's now over to my partner to decide.