C5 Aircross All Warning Lights On!

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
mickd

Post by mickd »

Couple of weeks ago my 2019 C5 Aircross Flair + displayed every warning light under the sun.... Engine Fault; Gearbox Fault; ABS; Hill Start; Parking Break; Tyre Deflation; and more.... The car operated fine and didn't go into limp mode. The only noticeable problems were hill start, cruise control inactive and auto parking break didn't work (not a bother as i tend to use it manually anyway). I had a nightmare contacting my dealer and several others as i have only had the car 2 months with less than 15k miles on the clock - but that's another story.

I called Citroen Assistance who were very pleasant and had an RAC guy to me within 30 minutes! Outstanding service i have to say and the technician said that the fault is in the ABS module which isn't communicating with other sensors - hence the amount of warnings popping up on my screen. The next tough part was getting it to a dealer to get it sorted and to obtain a courtesy car at the same time - what a ridiculous farce. After being told by my dealer there were no courtesy cars for 4 - 6 weeks, i moved on and was told similar at another dealer - i then contacted another and they could inspect my car now and get a car next week (best offer so far so went for that). In the meantime i called Citroen to see if they can help in getting me a car and said they would call me back in 5 - 7 working days!!! A vehicle is crucial to my work as i travel all around the country.

Anyway, the technician at the dealership confirmed that the problem was indeed with the ABS module and had managed to fix the majority of lights, yet there is still one ABS light coming up and has had to order the part but will take longer because it is coded to my chassis? It would take 2 weeks for the part to arrive and they have no way of telling me when the part is en route??

Anyone else had a similar issue with either the fault or this waiting for a coded part scenario?

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

The ESP ECU module controls both the ESP and ABS functions and as you have found out, is extensively linked to the engine and gearbox ECU as well as the BSI and other systems and hence the slightly alarming Christmas Tree effect on the dash when there is an issue. All these functions like cruise, hill start and of course your traction control and ESP system is deactivated as a safety precaution, but should maintain some basic ABS functionality, so be wary of this.

As for the ECU itself and the coding, this basically means that these modules are configured / programmed for the specific functions, equipment, engine type, wheels etc fitted on your vehicle. It requires all this data to be correctly setup in order to function correctly. If Citroen have ordered a new ECU module then they have probably ordered a pre-configured one to save them programming it once it arrives. This means they can just fit it and that's it. I hope that explains.