Remote key functions deactivated in a few minutes after locking the car.

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Kennetht

Post by Kennetht »

I've just bought a 1-year-old C3 Aircross.
When I lock the car and leave it for a few minutes, the remote fob doesn't work anymore.
I've replaced the battery, but that does not help.
The remote functions very well and also from a distance.
Something in the central locking system switches off the ability to use the remote after a short time.
This behavior is 100% replicable.

The garage where I bought it and another official Citroën dealer do not recognize this behavior.
The seller want me to leave the car at his garage for him to diagnose.

Does anyone here recognize this problem?

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

I'm a little confused at your description - you say the remote fob doesn't work anymore then say it functions well from a distance...?

So not sure what the problem is - if it's not working are you using the key to unlock the vehicle?

If the remote control is failing to work, there is a known issue with some of the fobs on vehicles built (not registered) prior to 26th July 2019. The solution was a replacement fob (s). Your vehicle may still be within the 3 year manufacturer warranty - so don't hang about and get it sorted sooner than later as if so, you won't have to fork out for a new fob and these cost a fortune.
Kennetht

Post by Kennetht »

I'll try to explain it better.

The FOB is working. It works fine until a few minutes after I've locked the car.
Something disables the central locking and communication with the FOB.
I don't think it's the FOB, it's the car/board computer that has some timer that shuts off the remote function.
I can replicate this behavior every time.

To resolve this situation, I have to manually open the car with the key, put the key into the ignition and turn it until the car gets power. Then the FOB is reactivated again, and I can use it.
But when the timer expires, the FOB is disabled again.

It's very annoying that I can't open the car. Especially when you have a lot of baggage and cannot open the trunk and need to get into the car to power it.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Then try reinitialising the fob if you have replaced the battery:

Get in the car, close the door, put the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on only - (do not start the car!), then within 10 seconds, press the lock button on the fob for about 2 seconds, release and turn off the ignition. Remove the key, close the door and then lock and unlock the vehicle a few times.

Then get in and start the car.

Hopefully this has resynchronised the fob. Leave the car locked and then come back in 15 minutes or so and see if it then works correctly. If not, then you may have a faulty fob as I described in my last post.
Kennetht

Post by Kennetht »

Thanks, I'll give that a try (again).
Maybe I didn't follow these reinit steps correctly.
I'll do it again, exactly as you described.
Kennetht

Post by Kennetht »

Unfortunately this didn't work.

Remote function has again disengaged, and I have to enter the car manually, turn the ignition and the FOB works again.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Ok, so I suggest you give Citroen a call and see if it's something they will sort under warranty - as they should be aware of a technical service bulletin regarding the fob issue.
Berapotter

Post by Berapotter »

At 1 year old it's still under waranty, straight to a Citroen main dealer! There are some good ones out there!
C4 Cactus flair 145 (stage 1) s/s, C3 Aircross flair 130 s/s, SLK350, Benelli leoncino 500
sonicAvatar

Post by sonicAvatar »

Thanks for this post. This has just started happening to my son's new aircross. To Citroen we go.
Citroen C5 Aircross Style Plus
Alex Mac

Post by Alex Mac »

Hello, just replace the vehicle AGM Main Battery and you will be fine