C5 Aircross Glovebox broken, won't open

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
jonpetern

Post by jonpetern »

Hi all, I had the audacity to try to open my glovebox, and something broke inside the mechanism. The handle is basically just doing nothing now, and has no tension on it.

Fortunately I've not got too much in the way of important stuff in there, mostly as once the manual is in there I can only really fit a small pack of tissues or wipes in as well, but I'd like to get it open for my breakdown cover details. Unfortunately it seems that the only way to get it open would be to completely destroy the handle mechanism, sand possibly worse.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get into it without making it worse. I realise it will need to go in to get fixed but I can't get booked in for a while and would like to get back in before then.

Thank you in advance 😌
2020 C5 Aircross EAT 1.5 TDi Flair Plus - Volcanic Red - Pan Roof

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

The glovebox handle is not sold in aftersales, only the complete lid which includes the handle mechanism. A new lid will set you back £130 which is VAT inclusive, but excludes fitting. If the latch is stuck in the engaged position, it may be difficult to remove without force as some of the glovebox screws are concealed by the lid. removal of the glovebox would allow the latch mechanism to be pushed in from the top of the glovebox once removed.

So whether you can try and release it with an angled flat trim tool, I can't say.

At least the lid is sold separately and not the whole glove box.

The only other thing I can suggest, is to remove the end corner trim piece of the dash (seen when opening the passenger door). This may allow some access to the recess above the glovebox (as the wiring for the glovebox lighting needs space to travel). You may be able to get something in through there (try one of those mirrors with an LED on the end) and see if you can see the latch protruding and push it down to release the lid.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Certainly a poor glovebox on Aircross, cannot fit more than a wafer on left side before the lid fails to fit flush
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
Andyp1962

Post by Andyp1962 »

Did you manage to open the glove box?
srperry

Post by srperry »

Airtool wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:30 pm Certainly a poor glovebox on Aircross, cannot fit more than a wafer on left side before the lid fails to fit flush
All Citroen and Peugeot models suffer from small capacity glove boxes on right-hand drive models - PSA are very lazy about moving the fuse boxes to where they really should be on the drivers side. It's not just Aircross models...
Was C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience
Now C5 Aircross Pureteh EAT8 S/S Shine+ Cumulus Grey/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience