C3 Aircross flywheel

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

My relative has a similar car to myself a 2018 model 16,000 miles. He has noticed since a recent service the engine sounding rough and nearly stalling , also he seemed to be crashing gears.
He asked me to drive car to see what i thought (being twice his age) i felt that certainly there was a engine problem (like running on 3 plugs) problem is it only has 3 anyway 😂 and that the clutch had a higher "bite" like as if it was near end of life plus certainly you crashed gears.
Anyway he took my advice few mths back and took out the extended warranty so yesterday dealer checked car they stated unusual fault flywheel u/s.
Citroen warranty will not sanction repair they need to check flywheel due to cost of £900 which they cannot do for 9 days, told to continue driving car until then.
On reading Citroen extended warranty they will only supply a replacement car after 24 hrs of accepting fault for 3 days.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

I'd be surprised if they covered the Dual Mass Flywheel as I would of thought this is classified as a serviceable item.

I've had mine replaced on a previous car at 40k miles with the clutch. The DMF was on its last legs and causing slippage - not far from breaking up. They can go a lot sooner, with some vehicles needing a DMF at 20k or less. Warranties on the DMF are a grey area - as unlike a solid flywheel, these are sprung and the springs wear over time. So although the extended warranty booklet mentions 'Brake & Clutch frictional material' as being excluded - the golden nugget is the 'All serviceable items' item....

Here's hoping you do get it covered though! Do let us know the outcome.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Its a grey area indeed, due to covid he has worked mostly from home so has only travelled 8,000 miles since purchase i think roughly about 18 mths ago.
I worked in a petrol engine plant most of my life where in the 80's and 90's standard solid flywheels were initially fitted, then dual mass flywheels emerged on turbo charged 3 cyl engines to reduce vibration. I only ever heard of failures on diesel engines which had greater vibrations never on petrol but there again i didn't work in a garage.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Update on issue, citroen warranty on inspection of flywheel accepted it as faulty, although they come to conclusion that the clutch plate should be changed at the same time and as its a "wearable" item they asked my relative to cover the cost (£150) of new clutch.
My relative then accepted that as a quick solution to the alternative of possibly being without a car over Christmas.
Myself, although happy his problem was resolved was unhappy with citroen's response with regard to a faulty flywheel damaging a wearable item and and not including that in the repair.
The car had done 16,000 miles no flywheel or clutch should have failed in that time and i would have argued the broken parts were not fit for purpose, thus their responsibility.