C5 Aircross PHEV won't run on electric

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Jubbo

Post by Jubbo »

Hi there

I have had my C5 PHEV a month. I didn't have a charger so have just been using charge points when out an convenient.

I had my home charge installed today and charged up. I set off on a journey and the car defaulted to hybrid, and the engine ran for most of the 15 mile journey. I tried many times to switch to electric mode, but it could not be selected. I pulled over, restarted the car, still it would not run in electric.

Every other time I have had any juice in the battery, the car has always defaulted to electric. I have no idea why all of a sudden it won't run in electric mode at all. It would be interesting to hear if others have had this issue

Thanks

J

Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Obviously the extension lead on your charger isn’t long enough 😜
Jubbo

Post by Jubbo »

Update

Day 2 it did the same thing. Engine running all the time, even when the graphic is showing the car is using just the battery.

I stopped at a garage for a drink and when I restarted the car... It started in Electric!!!!

I then got home. Charged the car, started it and it would not go into electric. I just turned the car off and on and it started in electric.

Day 3. No issue, running in electric.

So weird. I have it booked in with Citroen anyway, couldn't get an appointment for a couple of weeks, so will see how things develop.

Would be interested to hear if others experience similar.
Tagran

Post by Tagran »

I've had a similar problem. Occadionally it won't go into electric mode because "ambient conditions will not allow it" even though it is a beautiful summer day!
But today the engine suddenly went BANG and all power was lost. I just had to steer it gently into the side of the road. Thank god I wasn't on the motorway!
The dash board showed a message"Electric traction systen fault. Stop vehicle see onboard documents. (As if I ever had omboard documents)
2 hours later it started no problem. WTF. Will it happen again when I am pulling my caravan.......?
Jubbo

Post by Jubbo »

My car spent the day at the dealers.

They said they found multiple error codes when they plugged it in for diagnosis.... however, the technician said, this was not totally unusual, but he would have to work through the list to see what was wrong.

The car has 3 batteries. 1 main battery for driving in electric mode and then 2 aux batteries for everything else. He said he found a fault with the 12V aux battery in the boot. He thinks this was causing the ECU to error and cause the issues in switching modes. New battery has been ordered. Let's see if this solves it

Your issue of total failure whilst driving sounds very scary. I hope you don't experience an issue again. However, there is nothing worse than the feeling of driving waiting for something to fail. Part of the reason for opting for a new car is to have peace of mind. Hopefully once the battery is replaced on mine, i won't be driving around waiting for it to go into fault mode. I also hope you don't have that issue with yours again - might be worth taking to the dealer to see what Error codes they find... Good luck
mcguirestick

Post by mcguirestick »

I just got a 70 plate C5 aircross on a years hire.
So far not impressed.
1) Won't go into electric mode says "ambient conditions"
2) phone will not pair with the key.
3) can't turn on just accessories says not enough power and shuts down.
4) locking is very hit and miss.
5) engine runs constantly.

I see this point 1 has happened to people before what was the end fix or an I better just sending the car back?

I do love the ride but steering is way too light for me.

Any help appreciated
Terry
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

This all sounds battery related. If the car has been doing short trips previously, then the battery may be discharged enough to prevent certain functions, the Stop Start being one of them and any accessories, due to the energy management programme kicking in.

The ambient temperature, the battery condition, the equipment being used when the car is running, the engine temperature are all things that determine whether or not certain features will operate and concerning the electric mode, there is likely to be insufficient charge to go into electric mode.

I suggest the battery is charged up for 24 hours minimum, and then after this, it can take 6 -12 hours for the battery management to calibrate after the charge when the vehicle is at rest.
mcguirestick

Post by mcguirestick »

Hi tried to book it in earliest with car is may the 15th. So not long.
The battery you are saying to charge is the one in the boot?
It was delivered from Cornwall to me in London so would of thought it would have a good charge on it.
Thanks
Terry
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

There are several different systems on these, I'd need the VIN to determine exactly which you have. I believe the PHEV models have 2 batteries under the car and a charger module. There should be an ancillary battery too. I suppose it depends how depleted these were to start with, but if it is constantly refusing to go into electric mode, it may need looking at.
sproaty

Post by sproaty »

Update on my post about no electric mode due to Ambient conditions.
Battery in boot must be fully charged, and in top condition.
This was stopping my no electric mode available.
Something that simple.