C5 Aircross 180 Takes Ages To Warm Up

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
ben.ellis72

Post by ben.ellis72 »

Do any owners of the C5 Aircross notice that their engine seems to take ages to warm up. If I turn the heating on, it takes even longer. After driving around 10 miles the temperature is only at 1/4 on the gauge. The vehicle is only 1 year old, and has been like this since new. I've had numerous new vehicles over the last 10 years or so, and none of them show this behaviour.

Is this a Citroen 'thing' or a fault.

On a recent visit to Citroen for it's first service I was informed that they would look at the issue for me, but would charge me £89 if they could not find a fault. I declined...!

The picture is from the car temperature gauge after driving the car around 10 miles, then letting the car tick over for 1 hour with the heating on. When the car is left to tick over the temperature guage will not rise, no matter how long it is left to idle for.

It will eventually reach temperature if I continue driving, around 20 miles.

C5 Aircross 1.6 PureTech 180 Flair Plus EAT8

20210125_051516.jpg

Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

I thought ah he has a diesel but realised as it's an auto it petrol.
I have a 130 bhp C3 Aircross auto and that pokes out warm air after ½ mile and is at 90 degrees within 3 or 4 miles.
So my thoughts then are that the thermostat is stuck open.
You could use a thermometer on the thermostat housing and see what the engine is doing. Possible it's a gauge fault
The charge is standard but if the item is found to be at fault it is waivered as with my RPM gauge rubbing on dial on my car.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

I read somewhere that the coolant has a split system between the head and block to allow them to reach temperature at different times which also makes the cabin warmup sooner.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
ben.ellis72

Post by ben.ellis72 »

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know whether i could test the thermostat myself to see if it is operating correctly, and if so, how?
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

I wonder if anything would show up with a obd2 reader ?
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

You can test a thermostat in a saucepan and use a thermometer to test when it opens, but it’s a lot cheaper to buy a new one.
Better still if the car is under warranty take it back.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Not saying this is your problem ben, but I read one article that a huge study looked at a puretech engine with a valve that diverted water not just around engine but to the gearbox.
This ensured that the complete power train reached the correct temperature for it to function to its optimum with temperatures that worked to suit the oil to cut down friction.
Little do we realise what work has gone on when we just just get behind a wheel.
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

Hi,
I also have a C5 Aircross 1.6 Petrol Auto. I was out today and noted the time and mileage to reach normal operating temperatures.
Air temp on starting was 0C.
4.4 miles in 20mph, 30mph, 50mph, 40mph zones over about 6min 30 secs saw the coolant reach 90C. Warm air from vents (Air Settings on Auto) after about 1mile and reached full heat after about 2 miles.
Within next 1 miles I joined motorway, and running at just under 60mph the oil temp reached its normal middle point on the gauge at 7.7 miles from set off point.
Your car is under warranty ( I presume you are in UK and have a 3 year warranty) - get it booked in for check of cooling system/ thermostat - definitely something wrong there. OBDII reader would only report the actual coolant temp reported by the sensor. Why would you even start to test the thermostat, give it to a Citroen dealer to sort it.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol EAT8, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Roof. Now traded for DS7 E Tense.