Eb2 engine timing belt

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
russbif

Post by russbif »

Changing a timing belt is not difficult, I did both belt and water pump on my C3 Picasso 1.6 Hdi, hardest job was removing the belt cover.
The Aircross looks far simpler, uses the same tensioner, and the cam locking tool is easily fabricated.

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

russbif wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:11 pm Changing a timing belt is not difficult, I did both belt and water pump on my C3 Picasso 1.6 Hdi, hardest job was removing the belt cover.
The Aircross looks far simpler, uses the same tensioner, and the cam locking tool is easily fabricated.
The 1.2 petrol engine is completely different to the 1.6HDi with the belt running in oil. As the issue seems to be one of faulty belt material shedding and fouling oilways, causing low oil pressure, this one should be left to Citroen, as the oil blockage needs sorting. If you change it yourself, you may run the risk of fitting a new substandard belt if you buy from a factors.
russbif

Post by russbif »

I only ever fit OEM timing belts, false economy to do otherwise. The HDi was a bit more complicated because you needed more locking pins due to timing the diesel pump.
I read somewhere (need to dig it out) that Citroen check the belts during service by measuring the width of the belt.
Korber

Post by Korber »

The problem is not the belt, it is the oil. If you use oil from a different brand than the recommended (Total), even if the specification is the proper one, you risk premature wear/damage of the belt.
C3 aircross 110 BVM6 Shine.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Korber wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:39 pm The problem is not the belt, it is the oil. If you use oil from a different brand than the recommended (Total), even if the specification is the proper one, you risk premature wear/damage of the belt.
As I understand it, this is not entirely true, as the problem affects early cars, and it appears that they have changed the belt spec. It could be that the oil quality not only affects the older spec belts but the newer ones as well.
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

Agreed - this is also my understanding
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Cannot see Citroen changing every car to new continental belt unless they had to within the 3 year warranty.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

And now you see why the initial timing belt service is 62k miles on these.... just out of warranty....
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Well the oil thing is a bit confusing, had my C3 130 bhp auto serviced last week by Citroen service shop, garage where I bought it and oil used was not total but Fuchs.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars