Eb2 engine timing belt

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

It’s not the brand it’s the specification that is crucial. Each of the engines requires specific oil that meets PSA’s requirements and it is also more important for these belt in oil systems as a previous poster mentioned.

If anyone wants to know the PSA specifications for their engines, send me a private message with your VIN and I’ll check the correct type for your engine code. But Citroen dealers should be using the correct oil specifically.

You are perfectly entitled to ask them about this if it looks suspicious.

Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

Beanee687 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:41 pm Well the oil thing is a bit confusing, had my C3 130 bhp auto serviced last week by Citroen service shop, garage where I bought it and oil used was not total but Fuchs.
When mine was first serviced the oil used was Fuchs, if you check the oil specifications you will find that it meets PSA requirements. (Hopefully)
Hiboost

Post by Hiboost »

https://www.total.co.uk/lub-advisor

https://www.fuchs.com/uk/en/product/pro ... sae-0w-30/

If you get the PSA oil specification from the first website and then search Fuchs oils with that specification you will be directed to the second website wherein the Fuchs oils specific to our vehicles are listed.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Just a quick query. Anyone any idea why this only affects 110bhp or more engines, and not the 87? bhp non-turbos?
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

I'm not sure that it is limited to the 110 and above - it's the same engine, just without a turbo.
Aidy1971

Post by Aidy1971 »

Changed the belt on my wife's 2018 1.2 Aircross yesterday , the car was on 39k. !!

Screenshot_20230417_234123_Gallery.jpg

20230417_175214.jpg

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Have you not had it Citroen-serviced? They are supposed to check this each service for this sort of thing and replace.... Looks like you caught it in time before it deteriorated further.
Aidy1971

Post by Aidy1971 »

The car has a full main dealer service history my wife only bought the car 2 months ago . After seeing the issues about the belt I checked her car out and found the belt in this condition. ......
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Ok, so your timing belt may be due for initial replacement at about 60k miles where it's replaced with an improved belt. As far as I can see, some 1.2s have been recalled under an after sales campaign (not a safety recall) (possibly based on mileage) for a belt check.

Although the belt in your picture looks in pretty poor shape. it doesn't seem to have shredded like the earlier belts that lead to blockage of the oil strainer which also gets into the other areas like the turbo and oil channels that can be fatal for the engine if say going at motorway speeds and you get a severe oil blockage.
Aidy1971

Post by Aidy1971 »

I'm not sure what sort of mileage the belts were shredding , this one had done 39k, I changed it as looking at it , I didn't think it would be long before it started losing bits. So prevention in this case is better than cure :)