Eb2 engine timing belt

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

I came across this article on the eb2 puretech engine, i gather this engine is also fitted to c3 aircross (correct me if wrong) lots of issues with this engine fitted in cars from around 2015 but since then they have tried 3 different belts to prevent belt failure contaminating oil.
My question is has this been resolved ?, or like early spark change and valve carbon buildup its something owners should be aware of.
Thanks.
https://www.nomaallim.com/psa-eb2-timin ... ement.html
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey

Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

See my post here about engine oils and the timing belts on these:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=660&p=3456#p3452

That timing belt change interval has changed - it's nowhere near 180K KM (112K Miles), no doubt as a consequence of oil starvation and engine failure potential.

The C3 Aircross timing belt change on these 'belt in oil' system 1.2 engines is now initially at 6 years or 62K miles. It then needs doing again in 120K miles / 12 years whichever is the sooner. Personally, if I had one of these Puretech engines I would be getting it checked and replaced the second time roud at the same distance as the first replacement (62K Miles) to be honest.

Here's the actual Service Schedule for an EB2ADT 81KW (110) engine for a C3 Aircross Puretech 110 under 'Normal' conditions, so you can see the actual timing belt schedule yourself. I've removed the VIN from the document.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Thanks chilipepper, reading the history of the belt issue I am glad I paid for 3 years servicing/mot £399 on purchasing car (it was 8 mths old when bought) not sure of warranty will have to look at paperwork. My model is the 110hp not sure if same.
Deleted User 830

No worries. If you send me a PM with your VIN, I can tell you your warranty expiry date. :)
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

From what I have seen, this is being done as a recall, so I think that warranty and servicing may not be relevant.
Deleted User 830

There's no recall at present listed for this issue. The only recalls are for a faulty protruding stud and a faulty steering column defect in manufacturing and no After Sales Campaigns either.

That's not to say there may not be in future, but by having an unusually short timing belt interval I suspect they are hoping to avoid any recalls.

The damage was seen in early versions of the engine on the 308s and others, but as far as the C3 Aircross goes - 3 years from initial launch - if they are going to start failing it will be in years 4 & 5 depending on mileage of course - and if people are not having them Citroen-serviced post warranty, then they may not be aware of such a short timing interval.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

So if you bought the first 2017/2018 model and your warranty ends in 2020/21 it would be wise to extend it since the belt needs to be changed in 6 years or 62k to be safe. So it will be warranty extension cost versus cost of changing belt.
Deleted User 830

The problem that I can see is that it's unlikely the belt will just snap, but it's the gradual wearing and shearing off of the shavings from the outer skin as it were. If this was to be the case (unless they have vastly improved the belts and/or changed the design since the Aircross was launched in 2017) then these shavings will gradually start to clog the filter and this will lead to the oil pressure warning light coming on due to oil starvation and in worst case scenarios engine failure.

If you were to suffer an engine failure, of course, warranty should cover it within the 3 years - but if it were to happen after this period you would be at the mercy of any Citroen 'good will' without and extended warranty.

I can't see any other reason why they have such a short replacement interval of 6 years / 62K miles save that they want to ensure it is replaced and avoid any such later claims...

So as for extended warranty - if you are planning on keeping the car, I would certainly recommend it for peace of mind generally, but it has to be a personal choice of course like anything. You would still have to have the belt done at 62K or 6 miles regardless - so it's just a matter of weighing anything else expensive that could fail.

As an example for a C3 Aircross 110: New A/C Compressor = £832, A/C Condenser = £423, Window Regulator = £312, Auto Gearbox = £6,391 :shock:

So when you look at these sorts of items, £200-250 a year for extended warranty seems reasonable for peace of mind.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Yes garage bills like those nobody would be happy with, while its difficult to understand when some car timing chains were not without their problems the dry belt system seemed to be lasting 100k in some cars then the industry changed to a wet belt system.
To be honest as many have said oil and a rubber belt are not exactly good partners.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »