Door open alert

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Bellandtia

Post by Bellandtia »

I have a 2018 c3 Aircross flair which I bought new in November 2018. I had multiple problems which meant it was continually going back to the dealer.
In June 2019 I drove 160 miles then didn't use the car for 3 days, then set off home on the 4th day. I drove approximately 80 miles then stopped at services for a break. When I drove round the car park to leave, the door open light came on. The only door that had been open was the driver door. I checked that was closed and that the lock door had activated. All was fine but the light stayed on.

Taking it back once again to the dealer, I was told my battery was flat so they changed it. They said they had put a stronger battery on and I shouldn't have any further problems.

Due to lockdown I have been driving my car for at least 30 minutes each week to avoid the battery going flat. I haven't used the heater or anything which would use the battery apart from windscreen wipers when necessary. Sometimes I have driven for over an hour. Now the light had come on again and I am wondering if others have had the same sort of problem.
My car is kept in a garage when not in use.

Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

I'm not aware on any issue and there are no obvious Technical Service Bulletins on this issue.

Keep taking it back until you are satisfied. It may be several things - BSI, wiring, door alignment or a control module in the door.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Usually the stop start stops working first as in my case 2020 C3 Aircross. I have taken to putting it on charge every week for 1 night. It cures it. However I read that you should leave the car for overnight once charged before driving to allow the monitor circuit to stabilise. It's on charge now and when I take the charger off tomorrow it will not be driven for at least 24 hours. During that time nothing electrical should be operated i.e
door opened or radio turned on.
I have a 60's battery charger nothing fancy. I replaced the ammeter last week, and today a digital voltmeter was added. This way I can measure the terminal voltage before and after charging. Today it was 12.2 and 2 amps at switch on at 9pm now 1.5 hours later it's reading 13.4 and 1.5 amps.
Will update later.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
Deleted User 830

Have you posted in the wrong place Beanee? This is to do with door opening warnings :?
Bellandtia

Post by Bellandtia »

Thank you. I think I am just worried the dealer will try and tell me it's my fault as they have done in the past. I cannot believe after a long journey like last time that the battery was flat, but they take one look at me, female pensioner, and clearly think I know nothing.
I was just needing to do some research to show them I am not stupid. I had suggested if the battery was flat it could be an alternator problem, they seemed surprised that I knew there was an alternator on the car.
I used to help my dad fix his car in the good old days before all this technology 😃.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

No I was just saying the it's the stop start that could indicate a battery failure rather than the door. I've had many stop start inop days but never door problems.
Deleted User 830

Bellandtia wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:45 am Thank you. I think I am just worried the dealer will try and tell me it's my fault as they have done in the past. I cannot believe after a long journey like last time that the battery was flat, but they take one look at me, female pensioner, and clearly think I know nothing.
I was just needing to do some research to show them I am not stupid. I had suggested if the battery was flat it could be an alternator problem, they seemed surprised that I knew there was an alternator on the car.
I used to help my dad fix his car in the good old days before all this technology 😃.
Just take it back and tell them this is not normal behaviour for the door open warning light and that it needs to be resolved. It's the same as getting any other warning light on the dash and the dealer telling you to ignore it! Stand your ground and if not happy, contact Citroen Head Office and tell them that the dealer is not complying with their responsibilities.

You currently have warranty on the car that expires sometime this year being a 2018 (I can advise you as to the exact date your warranty started if you send me a private message with your VIN number), so I would ensure that you get anything that is not right with the vehicle sorted during the remaining warranty period. ;)
Bellandtia

Post by Bellandtia »

Thank you Chilli pepper, I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow. I have battled with them in the past so will do so again. Thanks for your support.
Bellandtia

Post by Bellandtia »

Beanee 687, thank you for your reply. I was told previously it was a flat battery but after doing such a long journey I couldn't see how my battery was flat. This time I will be asking why the battery is going flat when I have kept the car running to avoid low battery problems. Besides I read in the handbook that it starts in eco mode when there is insufficient battery.
I will post again when I have spoken to them.
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Yes certain electrical loads trigger the ECO MODE after about 30 minutes.
When I looked at my charger readouts this morning at 10.30 the voltage was 15v and current 0.25A. after unplugging the charger the terminal volts dropped to 13.1 volts. So the charger boosted the battery by 1v.