Keyless entry

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

Indeed - there is always that possibility, but then that's the same as leaving your keys in the ignition or on the car seat and walking off too.

I've always washed my cars unlocked as I invariably have to move them about to get easier access with the pressure washer and of course not wanting the alarm to go off inadvertently - but it's never been an issue until Keyless entry, so just need to remember to retrieve the fob after of course ;)

When I first had this system, I was in the car wash (one of those where you stick you monthly salary into the machine) and then use the various programmes at your leisure. I kept the fob in my pocket and annoyingly the car just kept locking all the time when the water got onto the sensors and of course the alarm going off when somebody in the car moves about. I wasted £5 of time constantly unlocking the doors and then opening and closing it so it wouldn't auto lock, so now I just leave the fob in the cabin area and no more worries.

Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

On the C3 Aircross and I expect on others there is a button you press, near the headlight adjuster which disabled the alarm.
Yes mine locks and unlocks when being washed by hand but I keep the keys in my pocket.
More important is to keep your keys in a lined pouch when the car is outside on the drive so thrives can't intercept the signal. Amplify it and nick the car.
Last edited by Beanee687 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars
Deleted User 830

Post by Deleted User 830 »

I just leave the fob in the car - no worries now whilst washing.

Yes, I ordered a few Faraday pouches for the fobs - but be aware these will very likely fail within 6 months to a year or less depending on how often you remove and replace the fob from the pouch. The wire mesh in the fabric is very thin. Constant removal of the fob wears the mesh exposing a gap for the signal to get through. Why they never added another protective layer on top I don't know - hoping people will have to be constantly replacing them I suspect. :roll:

I strongly suggest one tests them out every month or so by taking the pouch to the car and seeing if you can open the doors / start the vehicle with the fob in it. I'm considering getting one of those boxes that are lined with the same sort of signal blocking fabric so I can just place the keys in that and then adding some additional material to the bottom inside floor of the box to protect the underlying signal blocking fabric from wear. Even Tin Foil should do it.