Aircross 5 - power failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
joho

Post by joho »

My Aircross suddenly lost power whilst I was driving at 30mph. I didn't even have time to pull into the kerb. I tried turning the engine on again and still no power, however the dashboard had reverted to French language. Just before it lost power I had noticed out of a corner of my eye that a yellow light appear for a second on the dashboard but couldn't remember what symbol it was

I left it again for another half hour and the engine did start but dashboard language was still French

I completed (very carefully) the remaining mile and a half journey home An RAC engineer visited and said that he couldn't diagnose any fault but that he had had 2 other callouts very recently for the same model and fault. He suggested that it might be a software fault.

My garage have had the car now for 4 days and state they can find no fault and appear mystified as to any suggestion of any current software problems

My concern is that I do a fair amount of motorway driving carrying my disabled sister to various points and if this had happened whilst I was driving at 60mph with cars behind me, then there would have been a very serious accident.

I would be grateful for any ideas - which I will then pass onto my garage

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

Did the odometer revert to km and the digital speedo to kph? This is usually caused by an electrical power failure. I have had my C3 revert to French several times, sometimes accompanied by the odometer reverting to kilometers. As far as I recall, this has never happened whilst I have been driving. I understand your concern though.
joho

Post by joho »

Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately I didn't look at that specific - just saw that all language/set-up instructions seemed to be in French.

Car still in garage for examination and they are still puzzling over the fault so any further suggestions would be most welcome
joho

Post by joho »

Its now been a month that my car has been in the garage whilst their mechanics try to find out why it suddenly lost power whilst I was driving (thankfully) at 30mph

Any suggestions that I can pass onto them will b gratefully received please
joho

Post by joho »

We have had the car back from the garage but without any diagnosis of the power failure fault

Been driving it for 2 weeks and again the power suddenly went- thankfully this time at the start of a journey

Took the car to a different garage with an RAC report showing 11 system failures

The garage have now been told by Citroen that the problem has to now occur a third time (whilst they are driving it) for any diagnosis to be completed!

I dont want one of the garage's engineers risking their lives 'waiting for it to have a power failure whilst they are driving in traffic' but neither do I want to risk that myself

What am I supposed to do?????????
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Hi, could you maybe reject the car as being unfit for purpose and demand a replacement? Not easy I know, particularly as you probably waited months to get it! (I'm assuming you've had it from new). You could maybe raise the issue with a magazine such as What Car? or Auto Express which might help move things along...
C3 Aircross Flair 1.2 110 Auto with Parking & Family packs & sunroof
joho

Post by joho »

Thanks for the suggestion
Tagran

Post by Tagran »

I've had a similar problem. Occasionally it won't go into electric mode because "ambient conditions will not allow it" even though it is a beautiful summer day!
But today the engine suddenly went BANG and all power was lost. I just had to steer it gently into the side of the road. Thank god I wasn't on the motorway!
The dash board showed a message"Electric traction systen fault. Stop vehicle see onboard documents. (As if I ever had onboard documents)
2 hours later it started no problem. WTF. Will it happen again when I am pulling my caravan.......?
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

What weight is it listed to tow? I understood that, with a few exceptions, hybrids could not tow caravans.
C5 Aircross Flair Plus 180 Petrol EAT8, Platinum Grey with Red Accents and Black Roof. Now traded for DS7 E Tense.