Oil level

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Bugle call

Post by Bugle call »

Just bought a C3 aircross and not sure about the oil level. When checking the oil the level was between the max and min marks which is correct reading the manual. The few other cars I have had always said to keep oil to max but not over.
It must be better to have as much oil as possible with out over filling? Perhaps midway is great for fuel comsumption but I am not worried about that.
Having the oil to max mark gives more leeway if the level drops.
Can anyone comment please with their views,many thanks

mike1940

Post by mike1940 »

8-) Oil levels are critical in modern engines.
Pages 176/7 of hand book explains checking process. Not difficult but will reassure you. :geek:
Madman

Post by Madman »

All the cars that I have ever owned over the past 40 years have had a min and max on the dipstick. It is quite simple really, it shows the minimum and maximum levels. If you are using enough oil for the level to go from one to the other then I suggest a new engine.
Bugle call

Post by Bugle call »

Madman wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:52 am All the cars that I have ever owned over the past 40 years have had a min and max on the dipstick. It is quite simple really, it shows the minimum and maximum levels. If you are using enough oil for the level to go from one to the other then I suggest a new engine.
So the cars you have in 40 years, How many of the manauls said to fill to max? All my prevous cars said to fill to max.
This Citroen manual says to fill to "mid way" BUT then goes on to say never go over max mark! Surly more oil is better?
To me it seems stupid to have "mid way" level mentioned in the manual BUT then up to max and not under min,is mentioned.
If "mid way" is so good why not have that as the correct level and nothing else?????
Every high performance motorcycyle i have owned use the min and max system,never go under min OR over max,simple. These motorcycles also have little capacity for oil,like the citroen. Thats why i wanted to ask, why MID WAY is for important???
If having oil UPTO and NOT OVER the max mark will do not damage i would rather run like that. If all the mid way stuff is purely about peak fuel comsumption i do not care about that.
I have asked my local dealer who says follow the manual and can not coment on min and max marks!!!! he had no idea basically
-VJ-

Post by -VJ- »

Best oil level depends of the engine. I don't know how Citroen engine behaves, but I have noticed that my work bus with Renault 3 l engine gets noisy when oil level drops under half of the dipstick. The other bus with Scania 11 l engine uses oil fast to half of the stick and the level stays there, so there is no use to fill over half of the stick.
C3 Aircross Shine 1,5 BlueHDI 100 "Pull me over red", Tornio, Finland
Madman

Post by Madman »

Between min an max is fine. It is fine for my C3 and it is fine for all my BMW and my Ducati motorcycles, not that I ever check the oil in the Ducatis as they only have side stands.
I think that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.