Car Play wireless dongle

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Chrislo

Post by Chrislo »

Has anyone tried using a wireless dongle to connect their iphone to Car Play?

I've just been given an old Iphone 5s which I've managed to connect with the lightening cable but would prefer to go wireless, I've seen a few dongles advertised but don't know if they are car specific.
I'm new to iphone so am just experimenting before I ditch my Android phone.
Many thanks
C3 Aircross Flair 130BHP manual - Breathing Blue

Madman

Post by Madman »

What year and model is the car?
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

I don't know about Apple Carplay, but I know a little about Android Auto. The phone will talk to the car via bluetooth but as far as I am aware I have to use a usb cable connection for it to work. In fact I had a lot of difficulty with my phone in a 19 reg C3 due to poor communication via a cheap usb lead.

For Android Auto and Mirror Link to work your phone must be capable of running them. My phone is OK for Android Auto, but is incompatible with Mirror Link. The car also needs to be compatible. I'm not sure of the details, but cars built before ~2017 are not compatible. I don't remember when the C3 Aircross came out, so it may be that all C3 Aircross and C5 Aircross are compatible.

It is probably similar with Car Play. I'm just wondering why a dongle would be needed as the car probably already supports it. Is the reason simply to ditch the cable?
Chrislo

Post by Chrislo »

Thank you for your reply.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance on matters relating to smartphones, the only reason I have one is that I inherit my wife's after she upgrades!
Yes, the reason I was looking at the dongle was to make it wireless for Car Play, whilst playing around with the iPhone yesterday I noticed that my iTunes played wirelessly so wondered why car play doesn't do the same?
As I said, I'm not too hot on this technology, it's just that having the app in my car makes me want to try it, perhaps I'll just stick to my android phone and use a USB flash drive for my music!
Madman

Post by Madman »

Your Android phone will play music over bluetooth in the same way that an iphone will.
Korber

Post by Korber »

The bandwidth required by CarPlay is too big for bluetooth which is the way the phone is connected to the car, that's why a cable is required,
The only way to connect wirelesssly to CarPlay is WiFi, but the car is not equipped with the proper receiver. This is what the dongle does.
Too expensive IMHO.
C3 aircross 110 BVM6 Shine.
Chrislo

Post by Chrislo »

Many thanks for all your replies, most helpful, will also shelve the idea of the dongle now I've looked at the cost.