Spanner lit and oil light flashing

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

... and a couple of videos showing the oil blockage...

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

There are two separate issues here. One is low oil pressure due to the oil pick=uip being above the level of the oil. If you stop on the level, switch off, wait two minutes and restart, the warnings will go away. This seems to affect both diesels (certainly my 2.0HDi) and 1.2 3 cylinder petrol engines. It probably will affect all 3 power output engines,

The second issue of shedding rubber from the timing belt is much more specific. The issue only affects 110bhp and 130bhp versions. The 110 and 130bhp turbo engines have vacuum pumps to reduce brake pedal pressure, and the shed rubber blocks the oilways in the pum, leading to oil starvation elsewhere. The ~90bhp engine doesn't have a turbo, and has a traditional vacuum servo. So although the belt may shed there is little affect on the car's operation until there is a belt failure.
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

I think you'll find that in the first video I put up a few posts ago, they are dismantling the naturally aspirated (of which there were the EB0, EB2FB, EB2M,EB2F & EB2) and these too suffered with break up of timing belt debris which clogs the oil passages in the vacuum pump. The belts have undergone some changes and why the servicing intervals on some engines were dropped to 60k miles / 6 years for the first timing belt service.

Peugeot recalled 370k and Citroen 160k models worldwide for the brake vacuum pump / brake booster issue as a result of timing belt abrasion issues. However the first video of the last 2 I put up shows more than just dust accumulation - that looks more like belt shredding to me as it is full of material as the oil comes out.

It's what put me off a petrol-engined Aircross and stuck to Diesel.

Some further info for those interested:

https://www.byri.net/2021/04/24/1-2-pur ... ming-belt/

Also, note the small print under one of the pictures shown in the link above concerning non-dealer servicing:
Attention, if you do not have your car serviced in the networks of the brands, the belt must be checked on pain of refusal of support by the manufacturers.
Airtool

Post by Airtool »

Earlier reports discuss the shredding timing belt issue, moreso on finding out that the belt runs in a oil bath to reduce friction, If i remember correctly the belt is on its second or third type to try to extend its life. I have read the dealers have a gauge to check the width of belt to try to prevent the failure during servicing.
No owner wants to find out that their car has a design issue which could cost a lot of money if suffering a major fault, problem we have is trying to find a car without one.
C3 Aircross Flair 110bhp 2020 grey
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

And at least you can visually see the belt through the oil filler cap for a quick visual check.