security bolt, one per wheel.

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
banzai 25

Post by banzai 25 »

<t>I recently received a letter from Citroen, recalling my car for a safety check. The reason quoted was ' tightness of the security bolt on each wheel'. so, booked the car in, not yet done. Remember this...….read on...<br/>
<br/>
This morning, went to the car to find the rear offside tyre very low, I had seen the ' low tyre' display on the panel as I neared home day before, but tyre pressures looked ok, decided to check today.<br/>
<br/>
Ok, wheel change and then to local tyre people.<br/>
<br/>
Found the tyre, brand new, and the jack, and opened a sealed plastic bag to access the special socket for the security bolt. Big problem.....the pins on the socket bore no relation to the recesses in the security bolt. The recesses are 90* apart across the diameter of the bolt, but the pins on the socket are very randomly placed. I suspect that the car has been supplied with the wrong socket, hence the recall. But this doesn't help me, with a flat tyre, and unable to take the wheel off. Local Citroen dealers useless ( when they answer the phone ), contacted Head Office who 'made a note.'<br/>
<br/>
So, tomorrow the local tyre company are hopefully going to withdraw the security bolt. Don't hold your breath.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Moral....have a look at the configuration of the pins and recesses on the security bolt and special socket. You might be miles from anywhere when you find there's a problem.</t>

Next day, managed to get enough air into the tyre to drive to the tyre company...security bolt out in seconds using special extractor, puncture repaired. Bill will be forwarded to Citroen with a snotty letter.

Check your security bolt socket !!!

Jay R

Post by Jay R »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a look in the morning just in case.
Orange 110bhp Feel with City and Family packs.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

After reading this I thought I'd better check mine. Looked in the boot and.... the 'wheel bolt cover removal tool' was missing! Picked one up at the dealer today and have checked that my security socket fits OK (on one wheel anyway!). Thanks for this, definitely worth checking.
C3 Aircross Flair 1.2 110 Auto with Parking & Family packs & sunroof