1.5 BlueHDi engine timing chain information.

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Conrod

Post by Conrod »

Thanks Juan.

I've ordered a ridiculously cheap wifi endoscope (£12 on Amazon!) to be delivered today, and will check the camshaft cover part number when it arrives. If the number confirms the revised cover profile, then the only explanations I can think of are that:

1) PSA had a modified 8mm chain version which Vauxhall used when the Vivaro C was launched in 2019

2) That my van suffered the problem within the three year warranty period and had the modification performed before I acquired it in January 2023.

Regarding the oil, I've discovered (see post 28 in this thread - https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-23596-page-3.html) that PSA are indeed now recommending this new Total Quartz Ineo RCP 5W-30 engine oil:

https://total-cdn-lmdb.afineo.io/ORIGIN ... 700062558

Here in the UK Opie Oils sell this in 5l cans for £35.10 or in 20l "lube cubes" for £130.62 (equivalent to £32.65 for 5l).

So, whether or not my campervan has already had the 8mm chain mod, my plan is to switch to this oil and change it oil every year. It's insured on a limited mileage policy (5000 miles) so that might ordinarily be overkill, but for the sake of around £40's worth of oil each year, it seems a worthwhile precaution!

I hope this information is useful to others, and will let you know what my endoscope shows when it arrives!

Cheers,

Alan
Juan Sheet wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:09 pm @Conrod: No PSA never switched from 8 to 7 to 8. Affected engines always had the 7mm chain and only now are they being replaced with a stronger 8mm chain where the symptoms present.

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

For the most up to date PSA oils, check here:

PSA Oils Updated Feb 2024

As far as I'm aware, there is a 5 year warranty on the timing camshaft issue - so as long as it has been serviced annually according to your servicing requirements, they should make some contribution to repairs within this period - but depends on mileage and age of course and service history.
Conrod

Post by Conrod »

Thanks again - the key thing is the new Stellantis crankcase oil spec FPW9.55535/03, and there seem to be just two oils meeting this spec I've found:

Total Quartz Ineo RCP 5W-30

Mobil 1ESP Formula P 5W-30

BTW, the prices I quoted above for Opie Oils are wrong - they relate to Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5W-30 rather than RCP!

Alan
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Yes, QUARTZ INEO RCP 5W30 is the one for you if your vehicle was factory built, (not registered) before 31st January 2023.

https://lubricants.catalog.totalenergie ... -rcp-5w-30
Conrod

Post by Conrod »

A quick update. The endoscope arrived and, sure enough, the number on my camshaft cover is 9830580480.

If this is indeed definitive proof of the 8mm chain mod having been performed, then this must have been done under the Vauxhall three year warranty before I bought the van in January 2023. The camshaft cover has similar surface corrosion to other engine components, which suggests the cover has been in place for quite some time. I'm planning to pay a visit to my local Vauxhall dealer to see if they can find any official record of this warranty work having been performed.

This is doubly good news, as I was starting to get concerned about the Stage 1 ECU remap I had done during my campervan conversion work, which has (in theory at least!) increased the power from 102 to 160 hp, and the torque from 270 to 350 Nm. The van is by no means driven hard - my main reason for the remap was to provide improved fuel economy and extra torque for mountain roads on my planned European tours. It has certainly transformed the van for the better, but I was starting to fear that this would put excessive stress on the known weak camshaft chain.

My plan is therefore to keep the remap and to continue to drive the van gently (no hard acceleration, smooth and timely gear changes etc.), but to change the oil every 5000 miles or annually, whichever is the sooner.

One last snippet of information. I managed to find a description of the Peugeot 1.5 BlueHDi Camshafts, Housing, Chain & Tensioner Kit - see here:

https://www.lymmengineparts.co.uk/peuge ... ft-kit-DV5

Based on recent experience of spare part prices, £550 (including VAT) seems pretty good value to me - though there would of course be labour charges on top...

Alan
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

When you do go back to the dealership, I wouldn't disclose that you have had a remap to them as it will void any warranty and don't forget to notify your insurance company of the modification - they may not change your premium, but it is classified as a modification and increased power which may have an impact.
Conrod

Post by Conrod »

Sound advice! I did indeed notify my insurance company, and it didn't affect the premium.

Being 4 years old the van is out of warranty, and I'm far from impressed with my local dealer's technical capabilities anyway. Last September it developed a slow coolant leak, which I asked them to investigate. After having it for a day they reported that it was holding pressure OK and that they could find no sign of a leak with the engine running. They also advised me that every time I removed the expansion bottle cap after the engine had cooled it would loose coolant anyway, so that was probably the cause! So I bought a pressure tester kit which immediately confirmed it was losing pressure, and a local independent garage found a leak from the EGR cooler straight away. There were no new or PSA remanufactured ones available anywhere in the UK, with no forecast stock date - but I was lucky enough to find an immaculate used one from a very low mileage 2002 Peugeot 3008 from a breaker for £34 - result!

Thanks again for your very helpful responses Juan, which I'm guessing is based on (alledgedly!) Nicholas Cage's pseudonym from the old Plenty kitchen towel advert - arguably his finest role/roll! :)
victorursu@gmail.com

Post by victorursu@gmail.com »

Hello, i have bought a 2020 C5 Aircross, and it has the following VIN : VR7ACYHZRKL154200. Today the adblue error appeared, and thats how i came across this nice forum. The car has 162.500 km. Can u please tell me if its one of the affected vins?
Am i still under warranty? Thank you very much!
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Your 3 year warranty expired 29th June 2023. The Adblue warning has nothing to do with this thread which is to do with the camshaft timing chain. Yes you have the 7mm chain on your vehicle.

You need to deal with your adblue issue separately. It will need checking with a diagnostic if the system has been topped up and you are getting a dashboard warning.
victorursu@gmail.com

Post by victorursu@gmail.com »

Thank you very much for the info, is the recall bulletin available in all countries? I am from Romania.