Leak

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

So while driving today I noticed a little water on the passenger rubber mat, when I removed it there was a small lake underneath!

I can’t figure out where it’s coming from, everywhere above the water is dry, but I could see a small drip from somewhere under the glove box. Never had an issue before until it’s just been for a major service and some Investigation into a fault with the door locks, so can only conclude that the garage have disturbed a seal somewhere…. It’s got to go back for the lock to be replaced soon so will mention it.

Does anyone else have any ideas or similar issues before? Starting to get a bit sick of this car!

E8246AC2-2C2B-4435-9F89-772BBC5544F9.jpeg

94E8DEFA-E4D9-42D9-93C8-259515A4BBD9.jpeg

2019 C5 Aircross 2.0 Diesel Flair Plus

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Hi

The following are known faults:

1) Water infiltration from the top of a Front Door (Too much clearance between the upper part of the windscreen and the roof arch).
2) Water entry into the cabin from the left upper part of the windscreen (Too much play between the windscreen pillar trim and the roof finish trim).
3) Presence of water on the front carpet. Caused by a pinch in the A/C water evacuation pipe or incorrect position of the pipe:

AC Pipe.PNG

Although this shows a LHD Aircross, I thought it worth including just in case.

4) Leak from the heating system (matrix), but generally there would be a bad smell if it was this.

So I'd start with checking the top left windscreen corner area, the outside windscreen pillar trim or door seals.
Last edited by Juan Sheet on Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

Thanks

Definitely think it could be from the windscreen. I’ve just had off all the trim and there are definitely signs of water ingress, I’ve circled in red the first area of wet I can feel. I’m pretty sure that metal shouldn’t be rusty either….

I’ve tried to recreate the leak though with a water can pouring water all over the left side with the trim removed and can’t seem to recreate it!

Heavy rain due tonight so will see how much gets in!

Thanks for your reply Juan

20FAA5EE-B057-4A25-A1EB-4E2C18D4AF03.jpeg

35814873-5832-4687-90E8-9BCB2B125010.jpeg

Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Ok, so what can happen is that under the pillar trims, the seals can be missing the 45° angle cut as shown. This causes a 'misdirection' and the water to get in:

C5 AC windscreen pillar trim A.PNG

Remove the windscreen window pillar trim (1):

C5 AC windscreen pillar trim 1.PNG

Check the presence of a 45° cut on the seal (2) of the trim of the windscreen window pillar (1) (at "a")

C5 AC windscreen pillar trim b3.PNG

Check that there is a 45° cut on the seal (2) of the trim of the windscreen window pillar (1) (at "b"):
In the absence of a seal with a 45° cut: Carry out the operation
In the presence of a seal with a 45° cut: Do not modify

C5 AC windscreen pillar trim B.PNG

Cut the seal (2) at 45° (at "a").

C5 AC windscreen pillar trim C.PNG

On the windscreen window pillar trim (1), cut the seal (2) at 45° at the intersection of the 2 parts (at "b").
Refit the windscreen window pillar trim (1):

Take a close look at the right diagram circled part 'b' in the last picture above. If you look closely you can see where the 2 trims top and bottom intersect which is how they should be. In the left diagram the bottom trim shoots up past the top trim and this diverts the water incorrectly.

NOTE: After the intervention, there may be drops of water on the front door sill trim.
robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

Thank you, I will check that too
C5 pond

Post by C5 pond »

@robkenyon

I know this is an old thread but I’ve just discovered this exact issue with my c5 aircross.

I’m getting a lot of water in the passenger footwell and have removed the plastics and found the exact same rust as in your pictures.

Did you manage to resolve this?

TIA
robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

C5 pond wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:53 pm @robkenyon

I know this is an old thread but I’ve just discovered this exact issue with my c5 aircross.

I’m getting a lot of water in the passenger footwell and have removed the plastics and found the exact same rust as in your pictures.

Did you manage to resolve this?

TIA
Well I thought it had been resolved, it went into my local Citroen garage who replaced all the seals around the door and I’ve had no problems since then. However this morning I went out to my car and the exact same problem, the passenger footwell was full of water again! So no idea where it’s coming from, probably have to go back to Citroen!
Juan Sheet

Post by Juan Sheet »

Yes - as per my post above, it's a known issue. They need to check the Technical Service Bulletins and apply the fix, one of which is in the diagrams I posted.

Tell them to look under the WINDSCREEN section of Citroen Service, then under the Diagnosis Section, then for the following TSB:
Entry of water into the passenger compartment at the upper left-hand side of the windscreen
TSB Reference: C2AW012QQ0
robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

Thanks Juan
robkenyon

Post by robkenyon »

So an update...

I phoned my local Citroen today to let them know that the car was still leaking after the seals being changed in June.
The chap did say that it could end up being very expensive if we don't know where the leak is coming from, and by mentioning the Windscreen he did start saying it might be worth going through my insurance due to the costs involved.
I mentioned the above TSB and he put the reference number into the computer and it did come up with the windscreen leak as you described. He still went on to say it might not be this but we will book it in and see what the technician wants to do.
I've got a feeling this will probably cost me more money, after wasting £300 on getting the seals replaced which seemingly has done nothing.
I take it as although its a known fault I am still going to have to pay for the repair if it is a result of the windscreen fix as you describe?

Thanks