Hybrid battery range

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen Aircross
Tripods

Post by Tripods »

Hi I have recently taken delivery of a new c5 aircross hybrid when I picked the vehicle up the battery range was 32 miles next charge a couple of days later was 30 miles which I considered to be acceptable dropped off to 28 miles charged up fully from 0 miles on a 7kw charger only achieved 26 miles when go to use the vehicle after standing notice that the range was only 24 miles lost 2 miles just by standing, I have driven the vehicle home using hybrid the range dropped to 18 miles which was correct I charged the vehicle at a free pod point in Tesco for about 20 mins range went back to 23 miles drove home range now on 19 miles charged vehicle a home using a granny charger got the 100% fully charged message range now only 22 miles, now I know that load outside temperature etc will effect the charge range temperature has not changed drastically to have an effect on battery condition. What concerns me is that the the range drops when the car isn’t being used, the pre conditioning is not activated. Any body else had this and was it sorted,

Andyb

Post by Andyb »

Hi, I have the same problem, the car is charged over night in a garage temperature has not gone below 14 degrees, on switching on the vehicle the range indicator shows 21 mile range but in reality it only gave me 19 miles. Will be speaking to the dealer on Monday morning. This is not the first problem I have had with this car the hybrid system packed up a few weeks ago due to a switching fault car was recovered under Citroen assistance which was a disaster as they don’t work on a weekend so you deal with the RAC. Not impressed so far.
routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 »

I wonder how the system calulatesrage. Is it full cahrge divided by a fixed rate per mile, or is it dependant on date of use from the previous trip?
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

I’m not sure how it works but if Citroen says it has a 34 mile range then, even with a large pinch of salt, it should do more than 19 miles fully charged. The vehicle warranty states that if the battery efficiency drops to 70% then it requires changing so something is not operating correctly. The vehicle states the battery is fully charged the charger stopped it charge on a command from the vehicle? I’m old enough to understand real world test of mpg and emissions are subject to laboratory tests to get the best figures but this would be considered far worse than the scandal of other manufacturers fiddling the numbers should no faults be found. Be interesting to see what the dealer has to say and also other members on here.
Tripods

Post by Tripods »

Did you get any reply from your dealer on the battery range
RedRay

Post by RedRay »

Hi, I bought my C5 Aircross, brand new in mid May. I have never achieved the 34 miles battery range as stated by Citroen, the best I have had is 31 miles. However, in the 5 months I have owned it, it has slowly deteriorated to the point I am only achieving 21 miles. I intend ringing the Citroën main dealer today, I will keep you posted on their response.
OngarWoody

Post by OngarWoody »

I picked my hybrid yesterday and got 25 miles on electric today. 34 miles as Citroen have stated are in perfect conditions.
It was raining today so had my windscreen wipers on and air as the windows were misting up. I guess that this all adds to the battery usage.
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

I have booked the car in to be checked over on Wednesday to see if it has a battery or charging problem and will update you. Regarding the range, it states in all the sales packs that the range is 34 miles i only getting 19 to 23 miles which is well below the stated figures. Last week I received a Certificate of Conformity from Citroen, has anybody else had one? On this document it gives the following figures Electric Energy Consumption EC AC weighted 157 Wh/km Electric Range (EAER) 61km (31 miles) Electric Range City 70 km (34 miles) .
From what I can understand when the vehicle is tested it is carried out under normal conditions, air condition on and as well as lights etc.

When I collected the vehicle the range on the das said 31 miles which I can accept but now the range on the dash is now only showing 21 miles if the battery is fully charged then it should show at least 30 miles, you might not get that range but at least its showing what its supposed too. I well tell the dealer I do feel this is well below the the stated range which the vehicle was sold to me, and I suspect that they know what's going on as their demonstrator has the same problem, I do feel justified in questioning the sales figures on which I bought the vehicle on and ,should no faults be found I will be taking it further. It will be interesting to see what the outcome will be. Will keep you updated.
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

Hi all, in reply to my last post. The dealer carried out a diagnostic check and could find no fault with the vehicle but did understand my concern regarding the range as displayed in the range meter on the dash and what i am achieving compared to the official range. As no fault was found they contacted the Citroen Technical Department to see if they can do any further checks and find out what the cause could be and received the following advice. It would seem the system has a built in memory regarding the journeys the vehicle takes i.e. amount of miles you drive, how you drive and other parameters. It works over a 70km cycle so if you only do a lot a short runs, for example use only 30% of the battery then charge it up then do the same again the next time driver the system takes this in account, hence the range dropping from 31miles on collection to 21 now. They recommend I carry out some longer journeys to deplete the battery then recharge as normal this should cause the system to update and I should see the range increase, now this could be total load of BS or not but I will give it try over the next week and see what happens.

On an additional note, I also spoke to the sales rep who sold me the vehicle and he was a bit surprised that I was having this problem as he has sold a few of these before without an problems and the demonstrator has now got 15500 miles on the clock without any faults but he did give me this advice, carry out what has been recommended and record an image of the dash at the start of the day so you can prove the range hasn't improved, if it hasn't then make a formal complaint to Citroen through customer services they can then look into it and even log into the system to check the vehicle, because as no faults have been found the dealers hands are tied. Wait and see.... Hope this was helpful?
Beanee687

Post by Beanee687 »

Rather defeats the object doesn't it if you have to drive extra miles to get the car to go further than the 21 miles it is giving. As it uses fuel when running the motor it pollutes which what you bought it not to do
Don't tell Greta.
2023 C3 Aircross Shine+ 130 BHP EAT6.
Pepper red with red roof and black mirrors & roof bars